Valued Contributor

Re: Female TV News Anchors and Meteorologists Showing Too Much Cleavage?

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I agree with Ciaobella (LOVE the name!). I'm old enough to still believe that certain places require certain modes of dress. There's plenty of leeway, but looking like you're going out for cocktails when you're telling viewers that they face hurricanes, floods, etc., is just not appropriate. Casual clothes imply casual context. When I watch women presenting serious news wearing very short, sleeveless dresses (in mid-January), I wonder who told them to call more attention to their bodies than to their work. We don't see men on news shows coming out in muscle shirts and tight pants. It seems laughable to imagine that. There's still a double standard for women.

Well said. It is more about professionalism in how I look at the clothing being worn and and tight, short and low cut dresses do not impart that professional look to me. 

Honored Contributor

Don't you think they're encouraged to dress this way?  It's good for ratings.  There was a female weather person at the NBC station in Philadelphia that men went gaga over.  Last Fall, she was promoted to an NBC station in Washington, DC.  So now DC men have the pleasure.

Esteemed Contributor

As long as they get the forecast right, that's all I care about.

Valued Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Don't you think they're encouraged to dress this way?  It's good for ratings.  There was a female weather person at the NBC station in Philadelphia that men went gaga over.  Last Fall, she was promoted to an NBC station in Washington, DC.  So now DC men have the pleasure.

Unfortunately, it does look this way.

There is a young pretty female meteorologist in Denver who I loved to watch because she was always professional and never dressed to either extreme. My hours at work changed but I heard her on the radio. Still professional on the radio when I heard she was changing hours to move to a better TV shift. I had not seen her on TV for maybe a year before seeing her again and was amazed when I noticed her change in appearance. She went from appropriately dressed without too much makeup to tight dress and way too much makeup. I get the better shift now.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Perfect example of male vs. female meteorologists!  On the local Philly NBC station we have 64 year old Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz who is a bit of a grandfatherly looking character who wears a frumpy suit and bow tie when on air.

Then there is his former coworker, super hot Sheena Parveen who is still in her twenties with a body to die for and the station made sure that viewers saw it.  Why? .... For ratings of course!

However why no HOT male counterpart?...why do men have such different standards for dress when it comes to delivering news, weather & sports?

Honored Contributor

I don't find the tight clothing flattering. Our weather women wear the same things.

Honored Contributor

TV news and weather staff are working in a professional setting and should dress appropriately.   I get really tired of seeing sleeveless sundresses in the middle of winter too.   Cleveage is definitely out of place. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I grew up in a time where we had different clothing for different occasions.   School clothes, play clothes, Church clothes, Evening clothes, Work clothes, Office attire, beach wear, etc.  The lines of demarcation have blurred and it's an anything goes kinda world.

In many ways it's sexist and demeaning to women. It's telling the Newscaster the one thing she has going for her is her body, so use it.  I've unliked a few of my favorite newscasters because of their daily photos showing assets.  Why don't men wear tight skinny jeans and shirts unbuttoned?   Show me your degrees, certificates, notes, favorite interviews.  

I used to watch because I wanted to sew the news cast and stories, not your assets.

@MyGirlsMom

I don't believe that's the only thing a gal has going for her ....  but that's a VERY competitive field!   

If other female meteorologists are competing for an upcoming big city job opening, and they dress to impress, you better believe that others will do so to be in the competition.   

Why is anyone surprised?

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

I've been noticing lately that female news anchors and meterologists are wearing dresses or tops that show wayyyy to much cleavage.   I have nothing against a woman showing off their assets, but I think there's a time and a place for it.  Besides, the male co-anchors seem to have trouble keeping their eyes on the news script!  LoL

LOL.... an obvious attempt to one-up their local competitive stations.... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I've been seeing this for quite a while, it's all about the ratings and men are very visual, so I guess that's whose attention they are seeking.  My DH was watching a sports show and a very "attractive" female was the reporter and when I made a comment about her "assets", not her reporting skills, he just smilled and said he didn't mind!  It really doesn't bother me, it's just the way that it is.