Honored Contributor

Re: Fears Realized: Another Store Bites the Dust, a Victim of Technology

Things been changing in technology since I first got interested and that was back in the 1950's before I was in high school. Can be good can be bad, it all depends on how one looks at it or deals with it.

Many stores in our area were closing long before anyone had ever heard the words "internet or online". I personally love the changes is technology and do 95% of what I buy online. Before "online" I used to buy "mail order". I am one that ones to get more for each $ I spend and where I find the best for the cheapest is what I have done for decades now.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy holding hard copies of newspapers, magazines and books, and reading them that way.

I don't really yearn to own an e-reader; I like to hold paper copies.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Super Contributor

On 3/1/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

I agree with RCG. It is sad when you see businesses close. It is the end of a time, end of an era. That is sad but it never stops, everything keeps moving forward.

I suppose that humans have been doing this forever. I am sure they were arguing they liked the Bronze age better than the newer Iron age and they didn't like that change.

Like Jeff Bezos said one day people will be talking about the demise of Amazon. It is the nature of business and progress. But I do agree it is sad to see things go that you have grown up with.

Irshgrl31202, very well said! That's what I meant when I posted but you said it much better.

Super Contributor

On 3/2/2014 mistriTsquirrel said:

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy holding hard copies of newspapers, magazines and books, and reading them that way.

I have a Kindle and I like the way I can carry a lot of books with me using it, but if there's a really thick, heavy tome (in every sense of the word), I do like to have the actual book in my hands. I'm an incorrigible maker-of-notes-in-the-margins and you can't do that with Kindle.

Actually, you can, now that I think of it; but I prefer the old-fashioned way.

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 mistriTsquirrel said:

Hi mistriTsquirrel,

I like both. I collect certain authors, so I will buy the hardcopies of those. I still read our little local paper that is delivered to my doorstep, although I could access it online.

But sometimes it's so easy to download a book. When I am watching an author being interviewed on PBS or C-Span, I can get the book immediately. It's kind of cool.

But that's just me, and I do understand what you're saying. Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I enjoy going to book stores.......I miss the ones that had a little bit of everything.....all we have is Barnes and Noble......they ran out Books A Million.......I just refuse to go into the tech world all the way........cell phone and laptop is all I have and they are old. Well, my cell phone is very old. My laptop is out dated by now since I have had it two years. lol

To me America is getting more of a secluded place.........everyone is always on the phone and don't visit due to Skype, etc.

Super Contributor

On 3/1/2014 ~moxie~ said: I don't get the paper anymore except for Sunday. I get all my news off the internet using different sources. I think it is time to put the written word to bed, especially newspapers and magazines which can be accessed online. You can always print something you would like to keep.

Putting written word to bed puts long time newspaper carriers like myself who work hard out of a job {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Honored Contributor

R&R: Skype is a godsend when you are far away from loved ones. Don't be so quick to dismiss it.

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Love my grandkids said:

R&R: Skype is a godsend when you are far away from loved ones. Don't be so quick to dismiss it.

I agree. I used it when my son was in Europe so we could talk and I wouldn't worry so much.

-Kalli

Honored Contributor

We have no real book stores where I live. I lament the closing of them -- one by one. I used to love to go to a book store and just browse and I always found wonderful things - for myself and for gifts. Some of the larger stores, had places where you could sit and read and have coffee and pastries and there were events at times. I know times change, but that doesn't always mean that all change is good!!!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin