Honored Contributor

Fears Realized: Another Store Bites the Dust, a Victim of Technology

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/last-stop-for-one-stop-the-digital-revolution-claims-t...

Making my secret fear real, a D.C. newsstand closed its doors for a final time yesterday. Gads, I remember how exciting it was to pick up newspapers from other countries when I was young and discovering the world.

As noted, too, in this article from the Washington Post, oftentimes we do not know a publication exists until we spot it on a rack. That is why iPhones and all the other technological wonders do not preserve the written word and make it widely available. If you don't know about it, how would you know to access it? is the argument. Makes sense to me.

Brick and mortar biting the dust at a rapid rate.

Super Contributor

Re: Fears Realized: Another Store Bites the Dust, a Victim of Technology

Agreed. When we had a Barns & Noble, I loved going through their magazine racks, and seeing all the different publications.

Now that B&N is gone, I miss that.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor

Yuban, I drove by the huge empty and dark building that once housed our local B&N just the other day, and it broke my heart. I recalled all the books, albums and special magazines I bought for family and loved ones over the years. I remembered how I walked the premises searching for something special. We are painting ourselves into an ugly corner. I'm guilty. I won't lie that I haven't caused this, too. Just wish we could "have it all." You get nothing without losing something, it seems.

ETA: Big oops. I always did confuse which was my Borders and which was my B&N. It doesn't mean anything, just that I enjoyed a certain large bookstore experience. We still have our B&N, it is our Borders that croaked. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Super Contributor

it is an era gone by. Newspapers, magazines and books( other than ebooks) are going to be a distant memory like the 8 track tape. There is nothing to stop it.

Super Contributor

My mistake! It was Boarders that closed in my area, and not Barnes & Noble.

Sorry!

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Respected Contributor

The magazines have done themselves in. I used to buy many but the tone and leanings of them are not what I believe and I won't waste my money or time on them any longer. I have gotten numerous ad to receive them for FREE but I don't want them. Change your tone and values and I may change my mind. Until then I will buy the ones who do.

Super Contributor

On 3/1/2014 Yuban3 said:

My mistake! It was Boarders that closed in my area, and not Barnes & Noble.

Sorry!

Whew!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/1/2014 Yuban3 said:

Agreed. When we had a Barns & Noble, I loved going through their magazine racks, and seeing all the different publications.

Now that B&N is gone, I miss that.

Ditto. An iphone doesn't really do the job for me and never will.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

On 3/1/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

The magazines have done themselves in. I used to buy many but the tone and leanings of them are not what I believe and I won't waste my money or time on them any longer. I have gotten numerous ad to receive them for FREE but I don't want them. Change your tone and values and I may change my mind. Until then I will buy the ones who do.

Agreed, I refuse to spend my money on many publications that used to have my total respect and attention.

Honored Contributor

I miss BORDERS BOOKS most of all. My older GD and I spent many happy hours there and in the colder weather we'd get their hot chocolate in the café.