Respected Contributor

Re: Fast food employs robots or kiosks to lower employee costs

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

mtc wrote:  Respectfully @hckynut, this technology has been coming for quite some time and the fight over minimun wage and the legislation accomanying it has been in the spotlight for the past couple of years.

The bottom line is that if good, well paying jobs were available to qualified people this minimum wage issue would disappear.  I think we all agree that certain jobs are worth a given dollar amount but since so many people that had been earning much higher wages have been forced into these low paying jobs this has become a hot button issue.

Again respectfully, this country needs good and decent paying jobs again for folks that are trying to support themselves and their familes.

Water finds its own level -- those who are making $8-10 an hour now cannot qualify for better paying jobs.  That's why they're having trouble living in today's world.  

Yes, techonology is coming and it's unavoidable.  My contention is these minimum wage folks are unintentionally rushing it.  They're putting themselves out of work.  If they cannot live on $8-10, how are they going to manage when their jobs are reduced to part-time or have no job at all? 

With all due respect, it is nothing short of stunning of how many people that had been making more than a livable wage now find themselves struggling to find any place in this current job market (me included).

I'm not going to bore anyone with my work resume but I always worked hard and made a good wage thank goodness.  I have been sidetracked with taking care of my parents and to be honest this has really negatively impacted my career path more than I can say.  I am nothing short of stunned at how overlooked I have been in the job market both because of taking care of my parents and to be honest my age.  Please know, I totally get the pushback on the minimum wage but I also understand trying to find a job that will pay your bills.  

@momtochloe I don't know if any of this will be helpful, but sometimes working as an independent contractor or as a temporary worker can help a person get a foot back in the door.  It sounds as if you are working right now but just not at your prior level.  If not, you could seek out a temporary agency and ask for work in companies that need workers in your preferred job.  Once you're there, if they like you and you decide you like the culture of the place, you might be able to look into what other jobs they have now or in the future.  It is a national disgrace that American workers have been so badly treated.  Best of luck in the future.

@Ms X thank you so much for your kind words and support.  It is such a crazy job market these days especially if you are over 50 years old.  Between me trying to find a job and interacting with my friends that are also seeking out employment it's been kind of sadly enlightening if that makes sense.  I know better days are coming and if I am nothing I am patient.  Smiley Happy

Know your pain , I worked in two different indrustries hurt or killed by the down turn in the economy.  I am working part time and had no problem finding this job, (will be 60 soon).  Full time jobs that can support a family are very hard to find.  I feel fortunate DH is still working his full time job.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

mtc wrote:  With all due respect, it is nothing short of stunning of how many people that had been making more than a livable wage now find themselves struggling to find any place in this current job market (me included).

I'm not going to bore anyone with my work resume but I always worked hard and made a good wage thank goodness.  I have been sidetracked with taking care of my parents and to be honest this has really negatively impacted my career path more than I can say.  I am nothing short of stunned at how overlooked I have been in the job market both because of taking care of my parents and to be honest my age.  Please know, I totally get the pushback on the minimum wage but I also understand trying to find a job that will pay your bills.   

I was a stay-at-home mother for fifteen years.  When I decided to return to the workforce, I knew I could qualify, but also accepted the challenges that lay ahead of convincing a potential employer.  Believe me or not, I offered to work for free for two weeks to prove myself.  The first prospect took me up on my offer and hired me during week one.

I also am very aware of the difficulties of being that "sandwich generation," sandwiched between caring for dependents, i.e., children and aging parents. After my father died, I became the caregiver of sorts for my mother.  She didn't drive, so taking time from work to take her to her myriad of doctor appointments became a hurdle to cross.  

@momtochloe  I understand and am sorry for your difficulties in searching for work, particularly based on the sacrifices you made that put you in this situation.  I sincerely hope for better for you in the near future and that your next employment serves you well in all aspects. 

Thank you so much for this @IamMrsG.  Oh goodness it can be so tough to care for your parents while trying to still maintain a life and future for yourself.  In my case, it is what it is.  This is where I am right now and while I would love to find a great, full time job with benefits I have accepted the fact that that quite possibly may not be in my future.

But to be honest, my angst is not what I would be making in terms of income but what I could bring to whatever company or organiztion that would benefit from my knowledge and experience.  These days, I find I find it so frustrating that my resume probably ends up in the discard bin when I think I could be an asset to their work.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

mtc wrote:  With all due respect, it is nothing short of stunning of how many people that had been making more than a livable wage now find themselves struggling to find any place in this current job market (me included).

I was a stay-at-home mother for fifteen years.  When I decided to return to the workforce, I knew I could qualify, but also accepted the challenges that lay ahead of convincing a potential employer.  Believe me or not, I offered to work for free for two weeks to prove myself.  The first prospect took me up on my offer and hired me during week one.

I also am very aware of the difficulties of being that "sandwich generation," sandwiched between caring for dependents, i.e., children and aging parents. After my father died, I became the caregiver of sorts for my mother.  She didn't drive, so taking time from work to take her to her myriad of doctor appointments became a hurdle to cross.  

@momtochloe  I understand and am sorry for your difficulties in searching for work, particularly based on the sacrifices you made that put you in this situation.  I sincerely hope for better for you in the near future and that your next employment serves you well in all aspects. 

Thank you so much for this @IamMrsG.  Oh goodness it can be so tough to care for your parents while trying to still maintain a life and future for yourself.  In my case, it is what it is.  This is where I am right now and while I would love to find a great, full time job with benefits I have accepted the fact that that quite possibly may not be in my future.

But to be honest, my angst is not what I would be making in terms of income but what I could bring to whatever company or organiztion that would benefit from my knowledge and experience.  These days, I find I find it so frustrating that my resume probably ends up in the discard bin when I think I could be an asset to their work.

@momtochloe   I have read many resumes and cover letters in former positions. Cover letters get read first, and more than you can imagine never get past that point.  Please, please include, "I find it so frustrating that my resume probably ends up in the discard bin when I think know I could be an asset to their work" in your cover letter.  If your resume feels lacking to you, make an attempt to explain (without making excuses, of course), do tell them about your work ethic and don't forget to emphasize that your dedication to your parents demonstrates a strong sense of duty/obligation that they will benefit from when they hire you.

Other tips I can suggest:  Use high quality stationery, nothing cute.  Spell check, spell check again and grammar check. Send a thank you note immediately after an interview.  This alone will make you stand over and above much of your competition.  You can thank them for their time, interest and for putting you at ease (if that is true.)  Certainly wish them the best outcome in their endeavor to find the right person (you!).  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

This is how cars have been made for a long time now...same thing with coal mining.

A mine that needed 100 workers in 1980 now needs 10-15 workers. Newer techniques (like mountain top removal mining) have eliminated thousands of jobs and helped the corporations' bottom line.

Technology  being utilized by fast food has little to nothing to do with the minimum wage. Have you ever noticed in a drive thru lane that the voice that asks for your order  isn't the same as the person who delivers it? That voice is automated and has been for years.

i haven't been thru a fast food restaurant in decades, but i do understand the business. if you think minimun wage has "little to nothing" to do with increased prices and humans losing jobs?  dream on!

hnj

John -

Wages are not the top expense in fast food restaurants - food and franchise fees, buildings, etc. are are a higher percentage of expenses than wages are.

I can't blame workers who want the minimum wage to keep up with inflation. NO business would succeed without hard working employees....none.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

@momtochloe   I have read many resumes and cover letters in former positions. Cover letters get read first, and more than you can imagine never get past that point.  Please, please include, "I find it so frustrating that my resume probably ends up in the discard bin when I think know I could be an asset to their work" in your cover letter.  If your resume feels lacking to you, make an attempt to explain (without making excuses, of course), do tell them about your work ethic and don't forget to emphasize that your dedication to your parents demonstrates a strong sense of duty/obligation that they will benefit from when they hire you.

Other tips I can suggest:  Use high quality stationery, nothing cute.  Spell check, spell check again and grammar check. Send a thank you note immediately after an interview.  This alone will make you stand over and above much of your competition.  You can thank them for their time, interest and for putting you at ease (if that is true.)  Certainly wish them the best outcome in their endeavor to find the right person (you!).  

@MrsG - You wrote that you read resumes in past jobs...

Guess what?

Screening resumes and job applications is AUTOMATED at many large businesses now...and businesses who contract out that work.

Machines scan applications for KEY WORDS only - they don't even look at cover letters now. HR functions are being taken over by computers...that's part of the problem, IMO.

Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:@MrsG - You wrote that you read resumes in past jobs...Guess what?

Screening resumes and job applications is AUTOMATED at many large businesses now...and businesses who contract out that work.

Machines scan applications for KEY WORDS only - they don't even look at cover letters now. HR functions are being taken over by computers...that's part of the problem, IMO.

@terrier3  I don't need to guess about automated scanning.  I did guess, though, that not every inquiry mtc might answer would be scanned.  There are still plenty of human-held HR positions out there. 

Honored Contributor

As long as the robot can support itself on minimum wage, I'd be all for it.
Respected Contributor

terrier3 wrote:  Wages are not the top expense in fast food restaurants - food and franchise fees, buildings, etc. are are a higher percentage of expenses than wages are.

I can't blame workers who want the minimum wage to keep up with inflation. NO business would succeed without hard working employees....none.

_________

"The latest inflation rate for the United States is 0.9% through the 12 months ended March 2016 as published by the US government on April 14, 2016."  Source:  http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

Veterans' benefits, Social Security benefits were not increased for 2016, based on the fact that inflation rates didn't warrant the need for increased income.  

What will happen to the price of goods when minimum wage becomes $15 an hour, in general a 50% increase?  Can you blame workers for causing inflation?

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@IamMrsG thank you so much for these great suggestions as I will be attending a job fair this Thursday and will incorporate your suggestions into my presentation(s) . . . thank you again!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

This is how cars have been made for a long time now...same thing with coal mining.

A mine that needed 100 workers in 1980 now needs 10-15 workers. Newer techniques (like mountain top removal mining) have eliminated thousands of jobs and helped the corporations' bottom line.

Technology  being utilized by fast food has little to nothing to do with the minimum wage. Have you ever noticed in a drive thru lane that the voice that asks for your order  isn't the same as the person who delivers it? That voice is automated and has been for years.

i haven't been thru a fast food restaurant in decades, but i do understand the business. if you think minimun wage has "little to nothing" to do with increased prices and humans losing jobs?  dream on!

hnj

John -

Wages are not the top expense in fast food restaurants - food and franchise fees, buildings, etc. are are a higher percentage of expenses than wages are.

@terrier3

i don't recall saying wages are the top expense in fast food or any type of restaurant business. it has been decades ago, but i worked every job at the biggest drive-in restaurant in our city, which also included a big indoor restaurant that served many higher priced foods, not available on the drive-in menu.

i managed that whole facility 1 night every week, sometimes 2 nights in certain weeks, and i was 15 years old. i learned every aspect of that business, including all money in/all money out, which included the wages of: car hops/cooks/waitresses/bus boys/fountain workers cashiers and delivery drivers, am sure a missed a few jobs.

i never forgot a thing that i learned about that business so many decades ago. sure, things have changed, but any small business in order to survive? it still all is based on money in/money out when it comes to the success or failure of that business.

you can use graphs/charts or whatever you choose, success or failure still comes back to 1+1=2, basic math, no matter how one chooses to spin it.

my job was minimum wage for many years, in both the restaurant(the car hop job $0.25 per hour) and department store jobs. did i work hard? find me someone that has worked in a restaurant that says it's easy. i didn't even know there was such a thing as inflation in those days, i was happy to have a job.

i don't blame anyone in any level job to want more money, regardless of inflation. to me inflation numbers are made up in dc by bureaucrats who haven't a clue. they say 2%, and when i look at my utility bills(which they choose to ignore when it comes to COL), my numbers in 2015 were 8.5%, and our city's COL is much lower than many.

lots more i could add, but how many are going to even read this far?

hnj

hckynut(john)