Esteemed Contributor

Re: Family Christian Stores are Closing

There is one near me but I haven't shopped there in years.  I always found them to have nice things but thought they were a little pricey.  I'll have to check them out again (especially at Christmas time) as I'd hate for them to close.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@henderson wrote:

This is a sad day for some of us who shop there.  We have two I believe in Las Vegas.  I don't know of another brick and mortar store that sells Christian books, Bibles, videos, CD's, gift items.  I have purchased online from Christian Book Distributers.

@hendersonParables is such a B&M store. We don't have any Family Christian stores here, but we do have a Parables.

Honored Contributor

I still smile about the stores that decided to close on Thanksgiving Day this past year and it has been wonderful to see the family and faith traditions being stronger with all the holidays since.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

have never heard of them before. it is a shame though that we are hearing this more and more lately of many types of brick and mortar stores. we are losing our barnes and noble and i am heartbroken about that.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a prev removed comment

Honored Contributor

I tell you I'm worried for the future if this keeps up. Now, Penny's and Sears are in trouble. 

I hope we can keep our grocery stores open and don't lose them to online too.

We'll be driving down the road to what used to be stores and a Mall, one day it could be wide open prairie and people just sit home and tap on computer and not be able to actually see what they're buying. 

If you need something in 'real' time you will have to anticipate in advance of a week or 2 in order to get something by such and such time.

Scary and hope I"m gone by then.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I never heard of them but it seems rather obvious.  They sold junk, no one bought it, they are going out of business.

I take offense at your unkind comment, @chrystaltree.   You've never heard of them yet you can render a judgement what they sold?  Unbelievable.  They did not sell junk.  I purchase quite a few pieces of P. Graham Dunn wall art for my home just a couple of years ago.  We've purchased Bibles, study materials, t-shirts, stationery, gift items, Christmas cards, CD's, DVD's, accompaniment tracks, and probably more that I can't recall at the moment.  I don't know how they ended up in bad financial straits, but it's very possible that people just aren't shopping brick and mortar stores much, and even other bookstores, Barnes & Noble and Borders for instance, have taken a hit with the invention of electronic readers and tablets.  If the PTB at Family Christian stuck their necks out financially prior to the electronic market taking off, it's very possible that anticipated sales just weren't generated as expected.

Well, you were a satisfied customer.  So, of course, you would say that.  But the facts speak for themselves.  It was just business, like any other business.  They sold religious stuff but that's irrelevant.  Doesn't matter if they sold shoes or eggs or bubble gum.  They were in business to make money and they could give customers what they wanted.  Good products at good prices.  So, they'll clear out and lock up.  It's not that of deal.  Businesses fail all the time.

Honored Contributor

I have the same apprehensions, sharke.  Between the sea change taking place in retail and the freakily warm February weather we are having in our neck of the woods, I am puzzled and deeply concerned.

Honored Contributor

I enjoy getting out and going to the Mall getting out of the house.

No fun just sitting on computer all the time and going thru pages after pages and not being able to try on clothes, shoes, etc.

Messing with returns is a costly hassle. Holidays affects the mail not the mall.

QVC Social Team

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative.