Respected Contributor

Family Christian Stores are Closing

I just got the following email from Family Christian Stores this morning. 

Dear Family Christian Guests,

The cornerstone of the Family Christian organization is a commitment to serve God – whether that is through our retail stores, or any one of our ministry initiatives. I am very grateful for each and every one of you who have shopped our stores, and believed in our mission for so very long.

As with any worthwhile endeavor, there have been challenges and setbacks, as well as remarkable acts of service and self-sacrifice. The retail landscape is changing, however, and despite improvements in our product assortment and our store experience, we have not able to generate the sales necessary to sustain our business. We have fought hard because we deeply believe in our mission to help people find, grow, share and celebrate their faith in Jesus Christ.

We have had two very difficult years, and after prayerfully looking at all possible options, and trusting God’s plan for our organization, we have made the difficult decision to close our stores. Family Christian will begin the closing process soon.

As we end this chapter, we would like to thank you for walking along with us. Together, we have truly made an impact on the Kingdom by caring for more than 14 million people, here and abroad, in some of the world’s darkest places. We are deeply indebted to you.

Thank you for letting Family Christian be a part of your faith journey. Today and always, it has been privilege to serve.

In His Service,

Chuck Bengochea Signature
Chuck Bengochea
President and CEO
Family Christian
Honored Contributor

Re: Family Christian Stores are Closing

Not surprised at all by that announcement. Not at all.

Honored Contributor

I never heard of this business.  Where are they located?

Honored Contributor

We have one in my town and have for quite awhile.  They moved to their new location a few years back for more room but most people use their parking spaces to shop at the Best Buy next door. 

I hate to hear this and on this morning with JC Penny announcing 160 or so stores closing too.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Honored Contributor

USA Today has an article saying they declared bankruptcy, they were unable to keep up with online competition.

Honored Contributor

@Writer with Flair

Never heard of these ..... what did they sell?     Were their prices competitive?

Trusted Contributor

This is a sad day for some of us who shop there.  We have two I believe in Las Vegas.  I don't know of another brick and mortar store that sells Christian books, Bibles, videos, CD's, gift items.  I have purchased online from Christian Book Distributers.

Honored Contributor

Just found a news release that they filed Chapter 11 this morning to restructure and hopefully will not close any stores.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) – Family Christian Stores announced Friday the company has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The company plans to restructure and has filed for a sale of its assets. Family Christian Stores does not expect to close any of its 226 stores or lay off any employees, according to a news release.

A newly formed subsidiary of Family Christian Ministries will serve as the lead bidder for the sale process. It will acquire the organization’s assets and maintain operation of the 266 stores in 36 states, as well as its website, according to the release.

The company is expecting to finish the sale process in the next 60 days, the release said.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Just found a news release that they filed Chapter 11 this morning to restructure and hopefully will not close any stores.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) – Family Christian Stores announced Friday the company has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The company plans to restructure and has filed for a sale of its assets. Family Christian Stores does not expect to close any of its 226 stores or lay off any employees, according to a news release.

A newly formed subsidiary of Family Christian Ministries will serve as the lead bidder for the sale process. It will acquire the organization’s assets and maintain operation of the 266 stores in 36 states, as well as its website, according to the release.

The company is expecting to finish the sale process in the next 60 days, the release said.

@beckyb1012, I believe that was the 2015 bankruptcy.

eta:  February 13, 2015 -- http://woodtv.com/2015/02/13/family-christian-stores-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova