Respected Contributor

Re: FUN THREAD - THINGS YOUR MOTHER USED TO SAY

I never complained of an ailment to mom because all of her remedies smelled bad, tasted worse, or were painful. I was a quick learner, but my brothers never got the hang of it. They were constantly smeared with vile ointment or made to swallow anti-constipation remedies. 

Yes, whatever the neighbors were about to think must have been alarming because I heard that one too. Also the "Back in my day..." lectures. Always with the pointer finger in my face. I loved that woman!!

Honored Contributor

My mom would always tell me not to cut off my nose to spite my face which I had no idea what that was supposed to mean until I was in 6th grade. Before, I just remember thinking did people really cut their noses off?!  That's crazy!

Frequent Contributor

From my mother:

Pick a date fit for a mate

Don't smoke cigaretts

Don't wish your life away

A penny saved is a penny earned

'Had to include this one from my grandmother:

A whistling girl and a crowing hen will come to no good end

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

"I don't care if everyone else is doing it...I'm not their mother."

@alicedee

Exactly! I heard this many times from mom and dad. I was a late in life baby so my parents were much older than my peers' parents. They were stricter and more old fashioned in their parenting than my friends' parents. I was always whining to my parents and saying things like, "All my friends get to..." and that was their response every single time. 

Respected Contributor

My Mom is a character. I would get banned if I repeated anything she says.

Honored Contributor

Always change your underwear, you may be in an accident one day.

Judas Priest!

Say it isn't so.

It's utterly ridiculous!

Children are starving in Armenia, relating to uneaten food.

She referred to the house as "this dump," lol, fortunately for me, it wasn't.

I'll give you something to cry about. but she already had, that's why I was crying.

Men like women with some meat on their bones.

Oh brother!

Respected Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

Daddy would say, "She needs a dose of linament- OMG that stuff tasted worse than horrible..  LOL ...

@Suziepeach ... Oh, how I remember my mother and father grabbing the linament anytime one of us had an ache or pain. My dad said they used to use it on the horses when he was a child. He said that if it helped a horse, it would help me!

@Yardlie, I still get the nasty shivers thinking that horrible stuff going down my throat..  ewhhhhhhhhhh big time..  Poor horses!!! 

@Suziepeach ... My parents didn't make us drink it. They just rubbed it all over us. Then we had to go to school the next day smelling like a bottle of linament!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go out with him...its a free dinner. Oh and swallowing gum will take 7 years to dissolve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

I was shy.  If a kid my age moved into the neighborhood, she'd say: "Why don't you go next door and introduce yourself.  Get acquainted."  Ugh, I hated that word "acquainted"!

When I was a teen, when I blasted my music, she'd say: "Will you please get rid of that din!"

Respected Contributor

ONE MONKEY DON'T STOP NO SHOW !!  (She knew the double negative was wrong , being an English teacher - but that's how she said that particular line.

also :  YOU HAVE TO RISE ABOVE IT !