Honored Contributor

First Uterus transplant has failed

Mar 9, 2016, 3:40 PM ET

The first uterus transplant in the U.S. has failed, officials from the Cleveland Clinic said today.

“We are saddened to share that our patient, Lindsey, recently experienced a sudden complication that led to the removal of her transplanted uterus," hospital officials said in a statement.

Doctors did not explain the specific complications that led to the removal of the uterus. The transplant was performed on Feb. 24 and the transplant team spoke to reporters this week about the medical achievement. Despite the setback, the Cleveland Clinic said the uterus transplant study, which included 10 women, will continue.

"The medical team took all necessary precautions and measures to ensure the safety of our patient," hospital officials said. "While this has been difficult for both the patient and the medical team, Lindsey is doing well and recovering."

Respected Contributor

Re: FIRST UTERUS TRANSPLANT? SERIOUSLY?

I don't think it's ridiculous because A) it's her decision, and B) in doing this, there could be benefits that transfer to other types of transplants, like learning about different procedures, etc.

She's 26 and she wants to have her own biological child.  I am a total supporter of adoption, but if she wants to do this and it's possible, then as I said before, it's her decision.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I have to wonder why someone who already has adopted 3 children still feels they need to have one of their "own".  I have to ask if they feel their adopted children are somehow below par and not "theirs"? Something sad about that to me.

As a mother myself I would think that when we have our children that we fall in love with them after they are born whether we carried them ourselves or we carried them in our heart. Love is a funny thing....it is possible to love both our adopted children as well as our own.....with plenty of love to spare.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

As a mother myself I would think that when we have our children that we fall in love with them after they are born whether we carried them ourselves or we carried them in our heart. Love is a funny thing....it is possible to love both our adopted children as well as our own.....with plenty of love to spare.

Oh, I totally agree.  Brand and Angelina are examples of that.  Like them or not, they love their children, adopted and by birth.

Honored Contributor

It's a shame the transplantation failed.

The fact that there was a chance that this woman could conceive a child this way would be miraculous.

You can't say a parent wouldn't love one child more than another just because of having a biological. 

Every one would be upset if they weren't an only child then!  ("Why did you have to another another baby after me....didn't you love me enough?")

If it was experimental, probably research funding would've paid for it...a guess.

But if she has the money to pay for it, who am I to judge what she spends her money on.  People drive cars that cost more than a home and yet rent apartments.  Go figure!

Esteemed Contributor

What a brave and courageous woman. I was so sorry to hear that the uterus had to be removed.

One day this surgery will be common. How great will that be ?
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

My personal belief is that I can never understand the lengths some people go through sometimes. But it is not my body so I have no say in what they do with theirs. I just know that I feel that if I were meant to have a child, it would happen and I wouldn't go through any extent to force it to happen. If I really wanted another child, I would adopt.  I've never been a woman who feels that I must have a child from my own loins. I could easily love a child that I adopt as much as one from my own body.

This pretty much sums it up for me, as well. 

I was 35 before I had my son, never caring if it happened or not. Once he was here, I loved being a mom and everything that went with it. Had it never happened, that would have been ok too.

I can't see taking such measures that compromise my health, like a surgery and drugs necessary for this, on some chance that I might carry a child. I would ask myself how much time, money, stress, and energy, that I could be spending on a child that was already in this world and needed me, should I really expend just because I feel the need to actually carry and birth a child.

In some ways, things like this are actually selfish and self serving. It's more about "I want to have a baby", than "I want to be a parent".

All that said, the science and the fact that it is possible is fascinating.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

This woman already has 3 adopted children she has committed to raise but she decides to do this, which will greatly endanger her life taking antirejection drugs.Seems nuts to me. It's a different story when the organ is necessary like a geart, lung or liver, but just to have a baby, when you already have 3 adopted children......

Good and important point. She already has three kids that depend on and need her. So risking her life for something that is basically an elective surgery, isn't really putting those other kids first, like should be done.

I remember when we were kids, my dad was ill and dying for most of my growing up years. I remember my mom, saying that she took care not to do dangerous things, (anything from smoking to sky diving and in between) because she knew her kids already were going to most likely be down one parent before they were raised, and it was immature and selfish for her to even consider doing anything that might cause us to be left with no parent.

I don't think people think that way, in general, today. It tends to be more about making sure they are fulfilled. That kind of needs to take a back seat after there are kids.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So does she have THREE adopted kids or TWO? I keep reading conflicting things?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have become such a frankenstein society.