Regular Contributor

Expiration dates on vitamins and oils. Safe to take?

I have a new bottle of flax oil that has an expiration date of  January 2016. It has been refrigerated and was unopened. ( forgot I had it.....was in our refrigerator in the garage)I opened it today and plan on using it.   I think it will be safe to use.  right??? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Expiration dates on vitamins and oils. Safe to take?

I would toss it.

Oil can turn rancid.

Honored Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

I have a new bottle of flax oil that has an expiration date of  January 2016. It has been refrigerated and was unopened. ( forgot I had it.....was in our refrigerator in the garage)I opened it today and plan on using it.   I think it will be safe to use.  right??? 

Yes.............those "expiration dates" are only a suggestion.    I would only discard if the color had changed, or it had a "peculiar" odor.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

Call the manufacturer.  Or, you can just throw it away.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I would toss it.  Out of curiosity, I googled it.  It's ok if it looks good, doesn't smell bad and tastes nutty.

Respected Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

I think it's perfectly alright because it was refrigerated and unopened.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I googled:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=73

We feel that one of the best ways to benefit from flaxseeds, is to buy organic seeds and grind them in a coffee grinder right before use. Not only will this help to preserve the oil's quality and reduce its ability to go rancid, but by using whole ground flax seeds you will not only benefit from its oil, but from the lignins, fiber and other nutrients contained in the seed coating.

OP thanks for asking your question.  Had I not googled I would not have known about any of this.  

(had to edit to read easier)

Honored Contributor

I would toss because flax seed oil is one of the most unstable oils and is prone to go rancid faster than other oils even when it has been stored properly in the frig, away from light. Toss it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Q: I have heard conflicting views from manufacturers and scientists regarding how long it takes flax seed oil to go rancid and not be safe for use. Can you clarify this issue for me?

A: Smell and taste the oil before use. If it smells like oil paint or leaves a scratchy sensation in the back of your throat it is rancid and should be discarded.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=73

@truffle  Apologies for duplicating your link.  I didn't realize I was quoting from the same site.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Toss the oil.

Buy the whole seeds & grind yourself,

or even purchase ground flaxseed.

ANYTHING but oil.  

Plant oils are not healthy.

Period.