Respected Contributor

Re: Everybody could use a little goose somtimes

I've seen homes guarded by geese and when they come running at you, you run.

Honored Contributor

What a lovely relationship between this woman and the goose :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I'll take THIS one, please.

suzy, thank you for the link to that wonderful video.  After I watched that video, I also watched the one about that father who adopts and how God was instrumental in their lives since BEFORE the baby is born.  It's about 14 mins. long.

Please watch it if you can.  It is an incredible, loving story.

Frequent Contributor

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Thanks @suzyQ3!

Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

That is so cute!

Does anybody remember a movie called "Friendly Persuasion"?with Gary Cooper?  It was about a Quaker family during the Civil War.  They also had a pet goose that played a role.  The movie was serious and hilarious.

My first thought was the goose from the movie was a Quaker Quacker. Then I remembered ducks quack, geese honk. Too bad, a honking Quaker isn't nearly as humorous and as a Quacking Quaker. Oh well, I guess I'd better not quit my day job!

Seriously though, the relationship between the woman in the video and the goose is really precious. Loved seeing it. Heart

Honored Contributor

OMG, how sweet .....  I would guess she was there when this goose broke his way out of the egg .....  and she was there to cuddle and care for him.    

Another example of intra species parenting ...  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

This is so incredibly sweet I can't stand it. Who knew a goose of all things would bond like that with a human. His different sounds he made when she hugged him, picked him up were so expressive. He almost cooed when she held him.

Honored Contributor

I'm thrilled that you all enjoyed it as much as I did. I hope no one will mind if I plug a little cause here: Please keep it in your thoughts and actions that we must continue to be stewards for all species, especially endangered ones, but really that designation can happen quickly if we don't protect all all them, their habitats, and of course the environment in general. This has never been more important than right now.

/soapbox.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3

Years ago, the company I worked for had major offices in different Metro Detroit areas.  I was re-orged from my department in downtown Detroit to the location in Metro Detroit.  Wasn't crazy about the re-org until I discovered a protected little marshy area - like a designated wild sanctuary about 1/2 a mile or so from the office.  I walked there every day as soon as it the weather broke and noticed that folks would occasionally walk through and feed the ducks.

Nut that I am, I bought 20 lb bags of bird seed and some days I'd walk with large ziplock bags of seed and sometimes I'd just drive closer so I wouldn't have far to carry the seed.

The ducks were so smart, that the adults and their babies would catch sight of me and I wouldn't have to say a word - there would literally be a wall of ducks flying right at me and landing in the water under the bridge where I stood.

That saved my sanity, I have to tell you.  People used to wait for me to watch the spectacle - I became quite the celebrity (ha ha) among the seniors who would stroll through (they lived at a nearby senior complex).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My place borders a marsh and wildlife habitat and so for large parts of the year we have many, many geese surrounding us. Some of the neighbors don't like them and to be honest, they can be quite messy, but I enjoy watching them. They join the ducks swimming in the canal outside one of my bedroom windows and I think they're a treasure... These geese are Canada geese and so not quite as handsome as the one featured in the charming video... but are handsome nonetheless...

Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...