Honored Contributor

and Shawn is looking so good this morning.  Cute outfit on her.

Honored Contributor

Re: Enjoying this outdoor day

It's currently minus 2 outside - with a windchill of minus 18.

I think Outdoor Day is a little too soon in the season!

Valued Contributor

I don't think it's too soon at all.  Despite what it feels like outside, spring is five only weeks away.  It also takes time to plan our gardens, take inventory of what we have, what we need, what tools need to be replaced or repaired, etc.  I'm already looking at my yard and trying to figure out what plants to buy/order as fill-ins.  Besides, it's around this time of winter I start getting cabin fever and need a little garden therapy.

Honored Contributor

@Brooklynny wrote:

I don't think it's too soon at all.  Despite what it feels like outside, spring is five only weeks away.  It also takes time to plan our gardens, take inventory of what we have, what we need, what tools need to be replaced or repaired, etc.  I'm already looking at my yard and trying to figure out what plants to buy/order as fill-ins.  Besides, it's around this time of winter I start getting cabin fever and need a little garden therapy.

Spring in upstate NY starts around Memorial Day.

It's not safe to plant outside before then! We have had snow on Mother's Day and lots of May freezes.

Valued Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Brooklynny wrote:

Spring in upstate NY starts around Memorial Day.

It's not safe to plant outside before then! We have had snow on Mother's Day and lots of May freezes.

I'm talking about meteorological spring, not regional.  I'm in downstate NY, and I don't plant until late April-early May depending on the plant.  That doesn't prevent me from planning.  I was looking out my kitchen window this morning during a wicked snow squall and thinking of what to plant against the fence on the left side of my yard.  Just yesterday, I was in the basement looking at my garden tools to see what needs to be sharpened or replaced, what supplies need to be replenished, etc.  With the weather the way it's been the past couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 80 degrees on April 1st.  I'll take Outdoor and Gardening days anytime!

Honored Contributor

@terrier3Sorry.  I know it's bitter there.  I'm in Florida where we're having a gorgeous day and right next to my computer chair, I have the sliding door to the terrace wide open!

No way QVC can make all of us happy at exactly the same time, but I suffered through the months of winter clothes which I never need and I'm thrilled to see products I can use right away. 

Even if I were in my Long Island apartment (and I'm glad I'm not), I'd be done with buying winter and setting myself up for spring.  I'm making my wish list right now.  Just don't want to transport things north later on. 

And as I was writing this, I noticed the broom set -  I've been thinking of buying that for several years.  I just did -and even the automated ordering line was running behind!  Obviously, it's sprin in the hearts of lots of us.

Esteemed Contributor

Me, too....one of the very few times I watch the Q....

Honored Contributor

@terrier3I have relatives coming in from Upstate NY next week.  You make me think they're going to be really happy to sit in our sun for a few days! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of you forget that some us us don't have cold weather long.The last few days have been warmer here, some wearing shorts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@terrier3I have relatives coming in from Upstate NY next week.  You make me think they're going to be really happy to sit in our sun for a few days! 

I spend a week or two at a timeshare in FLA every April. I usually come home to snow on the ground - mid April.

My son got a 4 month gig in LA - he won't be home until Easter. Smart guy!

On the other hand - my 59 year old "boyfriend" splits time between Key West & Lake George NY. He's in Lake George right now and I'm going snowshoeing there next week. He was bored in FLA.

Lake George is going to be MINUS 18 tonight...w/o counting in the windchill.