Frequent Contributor

Elizabeth Edwards Posts Goodbye Message

Updated 5:33 p.m. Eastern Time

Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, has been advised by doctors that "further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," according to a statement from the Edwards family.

A source close to the family tells CBS News, "She is dying." The source said Edwards would likely die within weeks and possibly days.

Edwards, 61, posted to her personal Facebook page a message to friends reading in part, "The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that."

CBS News has confirmed that the Edwards family, including husband John,are now gathered with Elizabeth Edwards at the family home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces - my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope," Edwards wrote in the Facebook post. "These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined."