Honored Contributor

Re: Elderly Drivers in Japan

@jeanlake wrote:

Japan is a crowded island. I wonder if they want drivers off the roads and this is their answer. It would be interesting to see stats on accidents per age groups.  

So true! The roads I drove were so crowded you couldn't go very fast if you wanted to! I agree with @Sushismom - Japan knows how to do it when it comes to their elderly citizens. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Someone told me about 25 years ago, in my pre-computer days, that when cars get a certain number of miles on them in Japan, the gov't makes the owner either get rid of the car or have a new engine put in it.  The person told me that the Japanese gov't didn't want cars breaking down & slowing traffic on the roads.  These engines with relatively low miles on them (compared to the US) then supposedly get shipped over here to be sold  & installed in Japanese cars that have had the engines blow & are cheaper than a brand new engine would be, like half the cost.  Never checked if it was true or is still true.  

Supposedly, the person's brother had gotten one of these engines to replace a bad engine in his Subaru & the engine then worked well for him for years after.

Respected Contributor

Some people at 75 are bent over and using a cane or wheelchair. Other people at that age are still running marathons. The average person is somewhere in between. I could see asking anyone 75 or older to provide a statement from their doctor indicating if they were still healthy enough to drive...and even having the DMV indicate what they consider being "healthy"... can easily turn around to look behind them, can raise their foot easily to step on the brake, isn't half way to blindness, doesn't have a serious medical or mental problem that might be set off easily in a frustrating situation, etc.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@elated wrote:

I heard on the news that they are encouraging people over 75 to surrender their driver's license. There are approximately 4.8 million drivers over 75. If they do, they will get a discount on their funeral. Good promotion!!!

They were offering them free Ramen a few years ago. Seriously. 

That doesn't seem like a fair trade.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org