Respected Contributor

Re: Eight Words That Infuriate Me:

Sadly, $$ talks, and the alarms won't be installed until lawsuits cost the companies too much not to do it.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

Personally, I think everybody with an attached garage should have a smoke and carbon monoxide detector in the garage and another in the room you enter into from the garage.  My aging neighbor has a keyed ignition system and yet she left her car running when she got distracted after pulling into her garage.  Thankfully, her son had installed detectors and the one in the garage went off.

Esteemed Contributor

Only eight???

Fact of life.  We are human.  We make errors/mistakes, always will.  We try, we fail, we try again. 

Another fact.  People have to face the fact that in this life we are on our own.  We have to look out for ourselves the best we can and NOT turn things over to certain agencies or govt's.  It may not be a comfort but we must not be lead to believe others won't fail us or that others may not have wicked agendas. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I also think everyone with an attached garage should have a carbon monoxide detector....same thing applies if you have gas appliances/fireplace/furnace.  

Honored Contributor

What a lot of whiners. If you are old enough to drive you should be old enough to keep track of your keys and know if your car is running or not. 

Esteemed Contributor

While I can appreciate people liking/disliking or wanting/not wanting keyless ignitions is no one else disturbed by companies learning there is a problem and falling back on the meets federal safety standards instead of being proactive to fix the problem?

How about manufacturers stating their product whether a car or a tool or appliance or anything "exceeds federal safety standards" along with a commitment to fix any problems when they are discovered.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Marp...in all fairness...is an automotive manufacturer responsible to ensure people do not walk away from a running vehicle?  People can forget to shut off their cars regardless of what type of ignition they have....people have gotten out of their cars and locked them while still running..keys still in ignition...it happens......there are some things that we simply have to be accountable for...we can't always look to blame someone else when we make mistakes.  

Esteemed Contributor

I like the keyless ignition on our 2015 vehicle, but hubby and I went to Kohl's and he dropped me off at the dooor and parked the car. When we went back to the car after shopping it was still running. We only had it a week and I don't think he was used to that feature yet. It does 'ding' if you close the door with the keys inside...but nothing if you have the car running.

I also think you should have a carbon minoxide detector in an attached garage no matter what kind of ignition you have.

Esteemed Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

Marp...in all fairness...is an automotive manufacturer responsible to ensure people do not walk away from a running vehicle?  People can forget to shut off their cars regardless of what type of ignition they have....people have gotten out of their cars and locked them while still running..keys still in ignition...it happens......there are some things that we simply have to be accountable for...we can't always look to blame someone else when we make mistakes.  

No, an automotive manufacturer is not responsible to ensure people do not walk away from a running vehicle but when a problem like this becomes apparent and has such an easy fix I do think they have a responsibility to fix it.

Not to be snarky, I don't mean this to be, but if it were your elderly parents that had succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning because they simply forgot would you say it is their fault or would you feel that a manufacturer that had been alerted to the problem of people walking away from their vehicles leaving them running has a responsiblity to at least alert vehicle owners of the danger then fix the problem?

I stand by my position that stating a product meets federal safety standards is a cop out and when a manufacturer takes active steps to fight changes/fixes it is even more egregious.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Hopefully manufactures will take heed and add a safety feature to newer models.  Awareness is an important factor that generally brings about changes.  

I still have an old fashioned keyed car.  I had a rental on my last trip home to Canada and it took me a good bit to figure out how to turn on the wipers....a when I reached my destination a good 40 minutes at least plus reading the owners manual to figure out how to turn off that car.  Kind of turned me off in a major way.....should I shop for a new car I won't be looking at that model.