Valued Contributor

Re: Ebay pros....Am I ok (safe) on this large purchase?

@Tribesters wrote:

@mima

I just got took on EBay but because I used PayPal I did finally get my money back. Like you I checked the feedback- it was good, mostly for buying & not selling. However, the seller's account was hacked. Apparently that's what they do now- hack someone's account that has good feedback, list items with "buy it now," collect the money & run. 

You will be okay because you used PayPal. I'm sure the fraudulent listings are rare but I'm glad you used PayPal.

I have a question. I just purchased a product on ebay from a person with great feedback. Product was said to be "shipped" about 4 hrs after I hit buy. It was last Sunday so I figured they had just got it ready for shipping. Anyway it was suppose to be "fast & free" & estimated delivery was Friday the 10th. So far all the info on the tracking # just says "shipping label created USPS awaiting item"  I am probably 7 hrs from where it will ship from. Seller has been comunitcating with me, but says she won't do anything till next Friday. Then if nothing she will issue a refund. My question to you guys who know is...do I need to let ebay & paypal what is going on? I don't want to end up waiting for a refund & running out of time to do anything. Don't you just have so many days if you have to let them know? This is the very first time I have ever had a problem & I realize shipping problems can happen. But I just have never had to get a refund or anything so I just don't know what my responsibilitys are on this end to protect myself. It isn't a big amount but I did pay with paypal & they say you are covered. Also how do you get a refund with paypal?  I'm just unsure what I'm suppose to do. If it were the Q or HSN I would just call CS & they would take care of it. I am not in anyway accusing the seller of anything, I just want to be sure that if I need to be doing something on my end or not. Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Lovemyboots wrote:

@Tribesters wrote:

@mima

I just got took on EBay but because I used PayPal I did finally get my money back. Like you I checked the feedback- it was good, mostly for buying & not selling. However, the seller's account was hacked. Apparently that's what they do now- hack someone's account that has good feedback, list items with "buy it now," collect the money & run. 

You will be okay because you used PayPal. I'm sure the fraudulent listings are rare but I'm glad you used PayPal.

I have a question. I just purchased a product on ebay from a person with great feedback. Product was said to be "shipped" about 4 hrs after I hit buy. It was last Sunday so I figured they had just got it ready for shipping. Anyway it was suppose to be "fast & free" & estimated delivery was Friday the 10th. So far all the info on the tracking # just says "shipping label created USPS awaiting item"  I am probably 7 hrs from where it will ship from. Seller has been comunitcating with me, but says she won't do anything till next Friday. Then if nothing she will issue a refund. My question to you guys who know is...do I need to let ebay & paypal what is going on? I don't want to end up waiting for a refund & running out of time to do anything. Don't you just have so many days if you have to let them know? This is the very first time I have ever had a problem & I realize shipping problems can happen. But I just have never had to get a refund or anything so I just don't know what my responsibilitys are on this end to protect myself. It isn't a big amount but I did pay with paypal & they say you are covered. Also how do you get a refund with paypal?  I'm just unsure what I'm suppose to do. If it were the Q or HSN I would just call CS & they would take care of it. I am not in anyway accusing the seller of anything, I just want to be sure that if I need to be doing something on my end or not. Thanks

@Lovemyboots  I have had this happen to me, no tracking info, and a package arriving long after it was due, but since the seller will refund, I would wait to see if the package arrives this week, which is what the seller is doing.

Valued Contributor

@Lovemyboots   I have had this happen to me, no tracking info, and a package arriving long after it was due, but since the seller will refund, I would wait to see if the package arrives this week, which is what the seller is doing.

Yes I'm hoping that will happen too!  I have bought a lot of things on ebay & have never had a problem. Guess I was due!  The seller has been very nice about it. 

Respected Contributor

There are a couple of things you need to be aware of. First, eBay's Money Back Guarantee runs 30 days after the actual or last estimated delivery date. That's it. They do, though, require the seller to send the buyer a return shipping label if the item isn't as described. Note, though, that this really only works if both the seller and buyer are in the same country. 

PayPal, on the other hand, allows 180 days after the transaction date (date of payment) to allow a case. They, however, require the buyer to pay return shipping costs.

Credit cards differ in their coverage. You would need to call your credit card company or look online to see how you're covered.

Insurance is for the seller only. Buyers have no need to buy it since they're covered by the MBG, PayPal, or CC.

Tracking, again, is basically for the seller. If tracking shows the item as being delivered but you don't get it, neither eBay or PayPal will cover you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mima

Hi, Mima, I think you will be okay.  You will have the backing of Ebay and PayPal, so I would say "go for it."  I have bought from Ebay over the years and never had a problem with a product or a seller.

Let me know when you get your Samsung.

Esteemed Contributor

I've made several purchases with high dollar amount, the highest $1500 and have never had any problems. All my purchases have been jewelry. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am sure you will be fine.  In my case however I never spend big on Ebay.  Most items I buy are non electronic and from sellers who only specialize in one thing.... as in dance attire.  

But if I do stray... I write the seller first with any kind of question I can think of just to get their attention, find out the response time, and check out the way they answer me.  

I always read the reviews if there are any.  So far I have had only one incident.  I was set up... one seller and another bidder bidding against me.  The seller was in a European country and it was a post card of all things.  A bid came in against mine from the States, somewhere in the MIdwest.  I really wanted the card since it was a link to my geneology.  IN any case when I WON, the person who actually sent it to me was from the MIdwest.  I will say this was long ago and the buyer vs buyer was better identified.  Bidders had better intormation.  I did report it, but nothing came of it.  

I prefer Amazon.  They have great customer service and very willing to protect their buyers.  

Honored Contributor

@Lovemyboots

Let me take a crack at this .....  

the seller could have paid for and printed the shipping label, wrapped the item and adhered the label .... and it's sitting by their front door.  Or just not received and scanned at the post office, IF I'm understanding you correctly.

I say give it at least a couple more  days.   More than once, I've received items that showed on the latest scan that the package was hundreds of miles away.   And there it was, in my mailbox!   How did that happen?  No idea.  Go figure.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update:  I got my phone when I was suppose to.  It is brand new and it works perfect. I actually love this phone.  I  gave him a great review.

Thanks all for your advice!

By the way, the phone is a Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge if you are looking for an awesome phone.  The Galaxy s8's are coming out, so they have went down in price.  The new 8's are suppose  to be $850 to $1,000.  That's too rich for my blood.  LOL  When I bought my last phone, I waited until the new ones were coming out to get a cheaper price.  I think that is what I will do each time I upgrade.

Thanks all!!!