Respected Contributor

Earthquake Strikes Central Italy - BBC News

Just saw as breaking news on our local news channel.  I am saddened and will be keeping this region and its people in my prayers.

A magnitude 6.2 earthquake has struck central Italy, collapsing buildings and leaving people trapped under rubble, Italian officials said.

The quake hit at 03:36 (01:36 GMT), 76 km (47 miles) southeast of the city of Perugia, at the very shallow depth of 10km (six miles), the USGS said.
The mayor of one town told Italian radio that "half the town is gone".
In Rome, some buildings shook for 20 seconds, according to La Repubblica newspaper.
Amatrice's mayor Sergio Perozzi told state-run RAI radio that the town had been badly damaged.
"The roads in and out of town are cut off. Half the town is gone. There are people under the rubble... There's been a landslide and a bridge might collapse," he said.
Italy's Civil Protection agency described the earthquake as "severe".
The quake was initially reported as being magnitude 6.4. It was followed by several powerful aftershocks, La Repubblica newspaper reported.
The USGS predicted the damage could be significant, based on data from previous quakes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Earthquake Strikes Central Italy - BBC News

I hadn't heard this.  I love Italy and I'm sad to hear about the earthquake.  I have a friend who goes on trips to Italy quite often and will be there twice within the next couple of months.  I don't think she was going to be near Perugia.

My heart and prayers go out to the people affected by this.  It just seems we are hearing about these kinds of things all the time now.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been reading about it and seeing pictures on facebook from news sources for the past hour. (Being of Italian decent I have various Italian pages on my facebook page and some people are also commenting from Rome). SO sad for beautiful Italy and its people. I am praying for them all.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

So terrible. The destruction is tremendous.

There was also a 6.8 quake in Myanmar.

Valued Contributor

So tragic. My heartfelt prayers going out to Italy.

Esteemed Contributor

Thnaks for sharing this.  6.2 is quite a shaker and it never goes without damage or loss. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Just saw a news report, the count is already 120 dead Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

There's a report here with a short video showing one of the towns hit.  The before and after photo is devastating.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/08/23/norcia-italy-earthquake/89240378/

Valued Contributor

My house in Italy (near Venice) is made of bricks and has a strong foundation.Most houses are built like that because of the frequent earthquakes.

About 30 years ago there was a terrible one in my area that killed more than a thousand people.I remember hearing a noise similar to a truck and everything was moving.Then I went outside and the moon was moving fast.But it was the ground shaking

Respected Contributor

My sadness and my prayers to one of my favorite countries.