Regular Contributor

Re: EVINE-CHARGES TAX FOR A COAT???

@catlover wrote:

thanks everyone-the coat cost $117-maybe that's why...............

724-718- Pamela McCoy Black Diamond Tissavel Faux Fur Trimmed Shawl Collar Jacket w/ Belt

Nice! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@luvmydoggies wrote:

@Ms Nixie wrote:

I noticed about the middle of December Evine started charging tax on everything I purchased.  I am in OH.

Maybe your state made a change?

I'm in Ohio.  Our state didn't make a change.  We are supposed to pay tax on everything but food.  If you ordered such items and weren't charged sales tax, you are supposed to report those purchases on your income tax return and pay taxes at that time.

I have always paid sales tax at the time of purchase to QVC regardless of whether I ordered on-line or by telephone.  I paid tax at the time of purchase to HSN for phone orders only but not on-line.  At least a year ago, HSN began charging tax for on-line purchases.  Same with Evine.  I used to only pay on phone orders but wasn't charged with on-line orders but that changed fairly recently. 

In Ohio we also pay tax on s/h.   

Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Orange, Queens, Kings, New York, Richmond counties charge sales tax on clothing.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/sales/pub718c.pdf

Respected Contributor

I didn't realize any state sold clothing without taxing the items.  This is EVINE'S fault because......

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It depends on which state you live in.  I live in Pennsylvania and most clothing is not taxed.  Leather and fur coats are taxed here, but not cloth coats.

Check your tax laws and if you were taxed in error, call and complain and get your money back.

I live in PA and I don't pay taxes on leather coats, whether ordering online buying at a B&M store.