Esteemed Contributor

Re: EVINE-CHARGES TAX FOR A COAT???

@gizmogal wrote:

NY State has no tax on clothing or shoes unless a single purchase of a garment or shoes exceeds $110.  Up to $110 per item, clothing purchases in NY are tax free. Hope that helps explain sales tax if the coat you bought reaches that price threshold and the delivery address is in NY state.  

There are a few counties with exception in NY, but only a few. In those exceptions, sales tax is charged for all clothing. Go figure...

Correct!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Orange, Queens, Kings, New York, Richmond counties charge sales tax on clothing.

It's like the other poster mentioned.  If the items are at least $109.99 there is no tax on clothing, shoes.  Handbags and other accessories still have the city tax of 5% or something @MyGirlsMom.

Funny thing then because every county I've visited bordering NJ and PA charge sales tax on clothing..whether it's $5.00 or $5,000.00.  

Macy's etc. haven't received the memo yet...

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Orange, Queens, Kings, New York, Richmond counties charge sales tax on clothing.

It's like the other poster mentioned.  If the items are at least $109.99 there is no tax on clothing, shoes.  Handbags and other accessories still have the city tax of 5% or something @MyGirlsMom.

Funny thing then because every county I've visited bordering NJ and PA charge sales tax on clothing..whether it's $5.00 or $5,000.00.  

Macy's etc. haven't received the memo yet...

That's too bad @MyGirlsMom.  If you visited Macy's in NYC proper you should only pay sales tax for clothing if it's above $110.00.  

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Purchases above $110 are subject to a 4.5% NYC Sales Tax and a 4% NY State Sales Tax. The City Sales Tax rate is 4.5%, NY State Sales and Use Tax is 4% and the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District surcharge of 0.375% for a total Sales and Use Tax of 8.875 percent.

www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/business-nys-sales-tax.page

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it s to bad because I've not had to pay sales tax in NYC or the NY (state) counties bordering NJ and PA. 

Good night @itiswhatitis

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Yes, it s to bad because I've not had to pay sales tax in NYC or the NY (state) counties bordering NJ and PA. 

Good night @itiswhatitis

Yeah well I thought others might like factual information @MyGirlsMom.  G'nite.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

thanks everyone-the coat cost $117-maybe that's why...............

724-718- Pamela McCoy Black Diamond Tissavel Faux Fur Trimmed Shawl Collar Jacket w/ Belt

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Evine is innocent, it is also state controlled. Here in MD, we pay tax on all Q orders, HSN only on phone orders and Evine and JTV, no tax at all.

Regular Contributor

I noticed about the middle of December Evine started charging tax on everything I purchased.  I am in OH.

Regular Contributor

@Ms Nixie wrote:

I noticed about the middle of December Evine started charging tax on everything I purchased.  I am in OH.

Maybe your state made a change?