Esteemed Contributor

Re: EVINE-CHARGES TAX FOR A COAT???

Depends upon state you live in. Used to be in Maryland you were either charged tax or shipping but not both.  Now it is both with a qualification.... if the store has a physical presence... tax... no stores, or outlets here, no tax.  QVC moved an outlet here.  HSN did not.  I don't pay tax when I buy from HSN unless it recently changed and I was not paying attention.  In any case I always look for sales and I save money that way. 

Super Contributor

On some web sites when you place an order, they automatically add tax to a clothing item because where they are located charges tax on clothing. After the order is placed the tax is removed if your state doesn't tax clothing.

Esteemed Contributor

@karlam wrote:

On some web sites when you place an order, they automatically add tax to a clothing item because where they are located charges tax on clothing. After the order is placed the tax is removed if your state doesn't tax clothing.

I agree.  This always happens to me with HSN,, as soon as the order goes through, the tax amount is deleted. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

Clothing is taxed here.

Honored Contributor

If you are not charged your state required tax, you are "supposed" to pay it on your state revenue return.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

NYS does not charge tax, but unfortunately a lot of the NY counties do!  Woman Sad

I'm in Westchester - our tax is 3.75% (or something like that).

Honored Contributor

I don't know any companies that actually CHARGE sales tax, but all the companies I deal with seem to COLLECT it according to the laws of the state.

First time I ordered from Zappos, I was surprsied to hear there was tax.  I had never tried them, but after reading so much about them here on the Forums a few years back, I did.   Aha! -  They COLLECT tax when your tax tells them to. 

Actually, I can't think of any company I deal with when I'm in NY that doesn't collect sales tax.

Trusted Contributor

I live in California. We charge tax on taxes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Orange, Queens, Kings, New York, Richmond counties charge sales tax on clothing.

It's like the other poster mentioned.  If the items are at least $109.99 there is no tax on clothing, shoes.  Handbags and other accessories still have the city tax of 5% or something @MyGirlsMom.  What you provided above is  incorrect.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

In IL pretty much everything is taxed. I'm just waiting for them to start taxing the air that we breathe.