Respected Contributor

Today at Noon, the very last C-17 will leave Long Beach Airport.  Located in Long Beach, Ca.

It's the last C-17;  it's the last aircraft built in Long Beach; and it's the last aircraft built in the L.A. Basin of Southern California.

The once vibrant aviation industry in Southern California is now finished.

North American,  gone.

Northrop,  gone.

Rockwell,  gone.

Lockheed, gone.

Hughes, gone.

Douglas, gone.

McDonnell Douglas,  gone.

Boeing,  gone.

The last lift off fight was powerful to watch as it flew toward the East, and out of sight.   

Honored Contributor

What about Raytheon?

Respected Contributor

Raytheon is still around but they are different from the aircraft builders.

Honored Contributor

Re: END OF AN ERA

[ Edited ]

I know you're bemoaning the demise of the aircraft industry in California, but consider the B-52 Superfortress.  It first flew in 1954, yet is today still an important part of our air defense system.  It's expected to remain in service until about 2040.  What other aircraft has such a record?  They are now flown out of Barksdale AFB in Louisana, Minot AFB in N. Dakota and our base in Guam.

Since it was made by Boeing, I assume it's a product of Washington state.

american-b-52-bomber-military-plane.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I was not "bemoaning" anything.   I was sharing information about the end of an era.

Ca.  has been losing major companies for years.     

Respected Contributor

All the planes are old....but they are still being used.

Just the vibrations causes everything on the planes to move.  In time the plane could come undone while in flight.

Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

I was not "bemoaning" anything.   I was sharing information about the end of an era.

Ca.  has been losing major companies for years.     

Sounds to me like that's exactly what you're doing, which is not a bad thing.  The loss of an industry must have a huge economic impact.

bemoan
[bih-mohn]
Examples Word Origin
verb (used with object)
to express distress or grief over; lament:
to bemoan one's fate.
to regard with regret or disapproval

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: END OF AN ERA

[ Edited ]

Why would ANY company stay in CA given the unfavorable business climate and a dysfunctional state government?  The companies that CA lost have moved to states with a more favorable business climate and a state government that really wants businesses to thrive.

Trusted Contributor

I also will bemoan the end of the LongBeach plant.  It was always there at the corner of Lakewood Blvd and Carson St. Douglas Aircraft, then McDonnelll-Douglas, then final was Boeing. My DS worked in the C-17 building, as a painter.  AirForceOne was painted there and he was part of crew doing the painting.  It provided jobs for generations of people.  There is a Boeing plant in Mesa,AZ that makes Apache Helos.  It is sad so many jobs have gone by the wayside and it is okay to bemoan, or mourn them---------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Why would ANY company stay in CA given the unfavorable business climate and a dysfunctional state government?  The companies that CA lost have moved to states with a more favorable business climate and a state government that really wants businesses to thrive.

BINGO