Respected Contributor

I was given an ECHO Dot .   I've read and read about it and just don't see how I would use it.   I don't listen to music at home.  I can turn on lights fine.   We don't have a programable thermostat or any of the other gizmos that 'automate' your home.   I can check weather on my phone or laptop.  

What am I missing?   Why is this thing so HOT?    I don't want to return it to Amazon if I would really be missing out on things.

If you have it, how do you use it?   Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: ECHO Dot Question

[ Edited ]

Give it some time-you will be amazed how much you might like it-when I'm busy it's just easier to ask her for the information-she can really do a great deal-

Look up information-read books-weather-order things for you-tell you where it is etc.  It all ties into your phone so you can have your lists etc-set her alarm-get the news reports-it really does eliminate a lot of things...

If you haven't actually read through the list of what you can ask her-here is a link for the complete list-https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/

We do have it hooked up to our lighting and thermostats which is just kind of a convenient thing because our home is zoned-

Her jokes are a wee bit lame, but she is helpful so, I overlook it....

Good luck....

Honored Contributor

Have you watched any of the many,  many,  many etc.,  etc repetitious presentations of the TSV Today?   They should give you a good idea of what this thing will do. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Have you watched any of the many,  many,  many etc.,  etc repetitious presentations of the TSV Today?   They should give you a good idea of what this thing will do. 

No, I've been gone all day and night.  I didn't even know it was the TSV until I came here to ask my questions.  A missed opportunity for sure.         

Esteemed Contributor

I don't "get it" either. Maybe if you're home all day? But you'd still have to be close enough for it to pick up your voice? 

Like I couldn't be in bed and yell loud enough to tell it to turn up the heat if I'm in the bedroom and it's in the kitchen? If it reads me a book then I'd have to move it to the bedroom or living room?

I don't have a "smart home" and don't intend on upgrading. In a world where ppl put tape on their webcam, they invite the ultimate listening device into your home.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal

"I can check weather on my phone or laptop."

With the dot, you can just ask her for the weather instead of you grabbing your phone, going to your laptop, etc.

I don't even own a cell phone.  I plan on keeping my Dot in my bedroom.  The Dot will be alarm clock, news reporter, tell me the weather all w/o me getting out of bed.

I have my own music/stereo/receiver set up.  I found out that from my computer I can transfer all my burned cd to the Dot.  The max allowed is 250 songs.  I don't need those music programs that Amazon & those other music outlets have.

@silentgirl

Thank you for that website.  I bookmarked it.  When I get my Dot, I am going to print it out.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@silentgirl wrote:

Give it some time-you will be amazed how much you might like it-when I'm busy it's just easier to ask her for the information-she can really do a great deal-

Look up information-read books-weather-order things for you-tell you where it is etc.  It all ties into your phone so you can have your lists etc-set her alarm-get the news reports-it really does eliminate a lot of things...

If you haven't actually read through the list of what you can ask her-here is a link for the complete list-https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/

We do have it hooked up to our lighting and thermostats which is just kind of a convenient thing because our home is zoned-

Her jokes are a wee bit lame, but she is helpful so, I overlook it....

Good luck....

Respected Contributor

Thank you for the link.  It was very helpful.

So, Alexa is a voice activated Google.  Instead of looking / typing for information, you just ask for it.   I can see that would be faster but I have enough noise in my life as it is.  And most of the commands I wouldn't use or don't want to access information that way.  

I think I'm going to pass on it.  I may change my mind later and if I do, I'll buy one.

Esteemed Contributor

I have the original (larger) one. I love it! You can ask it the weather, the news,traffic, various questions, tons of games that are fun, recipes, shopping lists, set it up to have an alarm or timer go off. I ask it to play my music playlist and it does. Also you can set it up if you fall or need emergency help it sends messages to your family immediately. It does all of that and so much more. All this is done by enabling features via the Alexa app. (I have not bought the attachments so I can have it turn out the lights, heater, etc). Anyway I love mine. I just ordered my adult son the dot via Amazon as one of his Christmas gifts because he saw mine and loved it too.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@silentgirl, thank you for the info from CNET. I ordered a Dot and won't get it until next week but have been configuring the app and trying to read up and do stuff in advance. This will help!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all