Honored Contributor

Sometimes I wonder about some of the sellers' descriptions on ebay. Read carefully because words can be misleading yet legally sound in every sense. Makes me think they hire lawyers to do the writing over thererolling eyes.gif.

Honored Contributor

I purchased some fine jewelry and for the most part I've been satisfied. I was burned twice and will never again believe 100% ratings. One pair of earrings was fake gold represented as 18k. I had no idea until they turned green. My American Express refunded me. Another was a very expensive gold bracelet that I had tested and it was not gold. The seller disappeared. Pay pal refunded my money but I learned my lesson to stick with brick and mortar stores.

Honored Contributor

Trinity11 wrote:

I purchased some fine jewelry and for the most part I've been satisfied. I was burned twice and will never again believe 100% ratings. One pair of earrings was fake gold represented as 18k. I had no idea until they turned green. My American Express refunded me. Another was a very expensive gold bracelet that I had tested and it was not gold. The seller disappeared. Pay pal refunded my money but I learned my lesson to stick with brick and mortar stores.

Wow that's a drag.  Were they able to put a fake hallmark on it?

When I was selling, and I ONLY dealt in fine jewelry, one thing I would do is include a picture of the hallmark so people could know it was as represented.    That is why I always made sure I had a good camera with excellent macro abilities.    I could take the shot from one inch away and you'd get a good pic of the hallmark.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Wow that's a drag.  Were they able to put a fake hallmark on it?

When I was selling, and I ONLY dealt in fine jewelry, one thing I would do is include a picture of the hallmark so people could know it was as represented.    That is why I always made sure I had a good camera with excellent macro abilities.    I could take the shot from one inch away and you'd get a good pic of the hallmark.

Yes, fake hallmarks on both of them. The bracelet was Tiffany's and everything appeared to be authentic. Even the T&Co was there. The earrings had a hallmark of 985 in addition to 18k

Honored Contributor

Re: EBay is Okay

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry you got burned, Trinity.   

I'm also sorry to hear that there are those able to put false hallmarks onto krap jewelry and sell it as fine.  Smiley Sad   

I swear, the bad guys are always two steps ahead of the good guys.

I wonder what the '985' was supposed to represent, as 18k is 750.  (3/4 gold, 1/4 alloy)

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy from someone with a 95% rating.   That's pretty poor in my estimation.   I look for 98% or better. 

I used to do a lot of buying of old Indian jewelry.   Ten or fifteen years ago you could get some good buys.   Now prices are inflated and the over-quality stinks.   So I don't buy much these days.   I bought a lot and never really had a bad experience. 

People often don't consider this but it's a good place to buy plants for spring gardens.   I've gotten some wonderful big, healthy day lilies and even some bromeliads. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Just to clarify, when I said that returning or disputing on eBay is a royal PITA compared to Amazon, I'm referring to the fact that it has always taken me one phone call to Amazon to get a refund. I've never had to go through any dispute resolution. And often, I will even get the refund immediately, before returning the item.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I wouldn't buy from someone with a 95% rating.   That's pretty poor in my estimation.   I look for 98% or better. 

I used to do a lot of buying of old Indian jewelry.   Ten or fifteen years ago you could get some good buys.   Now prices are inflated and the over-quality stinks.   So I don't buy much these days.   I bought a lot and never really had a bad experience. 

People often don't consider this but it's a good place to buy plants for spring gardens.   I've gotten some wonderful big, healthy day lilies and even some bromeliads. 

@Kachina624, I won't look at any seller below 99 percent, and even then I prefer the high 90s.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

For the last 13 years Ebay is my go to Dept Store, I buy just about everything on there, issues have been small and they always make good on them.  Love getting my Ebay Bucks too!!!

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have no problems with eBay. I didn't know that it was so disliked. Once you know how it all works and how to be a smart buyer, it's fine.

Having said that, there are some items that I would never purchase there -- primarily anything that I want to be as fresh as possible. I may chance it with Amazon, but that's because I know I have easy recourse. Getting a refund or challenging a purchase on eBay is a royal PITA.

I don't think it is.  I think some of the post was a little dramatic.

I learned early on about e-bay.  If it's too good to be true it is and some e-bay sellers lie by omission.  If it's not stated in the description, then it doesn't have that feature, etc.

I know a lot of people buy make-up and skincare from E-bay. That is not something I would do.  I'd rather pay a little more and know I am getting something 100% authentic and fresh than save a few dollars and chance it.  It's just not worth it to me, especially since I have my skincare widdled down and I'm not trying everything under the sun.