Honored Contributor

Here's a bit of info about using PayPal for your purchases made anywhere on line. If for some reason you need to return an item and need to pay the return shipping cost, then paypal will reimburse the return shipping cost for the item.  All you have to do is fill out a simple short form and upload a copy of the shipping receipt. The return shipping is refunded to your paypal account.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Here's a bit of info about using PayPal for your purchases made anywhere on line. If for some reason you need to return an item and need to pay the return shipping cost, then paypal will reimburse the return shipping cost for the item.  All you have to do is fill out a simple short form and upload a copy of the shipping receipt. The return shipping is refunded to your paypal account.

Good to know, @SilleeMee, thanks!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have no problems with eBay. I didn't know that it was so disliked. Once you know how it all works and how to be a smart buyer, it's fine.

Having said that, there are some items that I would never purchase there -- primarily anything that I want to be as fresh as possible. I may chance it with Amazon, but that's because I know I have easy recourse. Getting a refund or challenging a purchase on eBay is a royal PITA.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have no problems with eBay. I didn't know that it was so disliked. Once you know how it all works and how to be a smart buyer, it's fine.

Having said that, there are some items that I would never purchase there -- primarily anything that I want to be as fresh as possible. I may chance it with Amazon, but that's because I know I have easy recourse. Getting a refund or challenging a purchase on eBay is a royal PITA.

@suzyQ3, in its earlier days (EBay was founded in 1995) it had none of the buyer safeguards in place it has had for the past few years. Sellers could claim anything. Trusting people (which I'm generally not) were burned/ripped off fairly frequently. It was rather Wild West-ish.

I've had several friends who sell on EBay to supplement their income and do pretty well.

Esteemed Contributor

There are a few sellers I follow who buy closeouts from the home shopping channels.   There is one in particular from Florida that I like.  

We used to have a poster who bought closeouts from QVC, she was located in the southwest.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3    @Moonchilde

Actually, not any more!    I've been an Ebay buyer and seller for many years, and they have worked to give both sides the benefit of the doubt.  

They have a Buyer Protection Plan which has refunded transactions to me a couple times.  

What I DIDN'T know is that they also have a seller protection plan!  

I recently sold an item that was a final sale - no refunds.     A buyer bought and received that item and demanded a refund.  His position was that the photo was "misleading" and he never read the description, making his decision solely on the "misleading" photo.   I disputed the refund and a case was opened.  Ebay decided to go with the buyer, instructed him to return the item, and subsequently refunded his cost when tracking indicated that I received the item.  

I then disputed the outcome of the decision ..... and Ebay then agreed with me .... and refunded the sale amount that they had "confiscated" from me.  

(Are you still with me here?  LOL)

Ultimately, the buyer got his refund .... and I then got refunded the cost ....  AND had the item back to re-sell!

I was surprised by this outcome, but didn't argue with their decision ... LOL.    Woman LOL

Super Contributor

Sometimes I'll take a look at the purses on Ebay and one of the dumbest things I've seen sellers do is not take pictures of the interior of a handbag yet they are charging $200.  Also, they usually have a 100% rating which I just don't understand.  The other dumb thing I've seen is when someone's camera is not giving an accurate picture of the color.....washed out black comes to mind.  Some doofus was selling a Dooney pebble leather handbag that I knew was not washed out whatsover yet here they were charging $200 and totally missing the mark in their presentation.

Regarding Amazon, my husband wanted more Hanes tees and we both were too busy at the time to run into a store, so went to Amazon.  Once there, I noticed some nice fleece lined sweatshirts for him too.  Each of the three items I bought were picked off the vendor's shelves incorrectly.  The color was wrong on 1, the size wrong on another and the product competely wrong on the third.  I could have saved myself the trouble by just going to hanes dot com which I later did to get the clothes he requested.  No problem with that website, lesson learned.  

Honored Contributor

Bit convoluted there, @Tinkrbl44,but good to know!

Respected Contributor

Had a bad experience on Ebay - bought and paid for some decorative plates.  Then saw other plates I wanted in place of a couple of them from same seller.  Contacted him and asked if I could switch a couple of the plates in place of two I had already purchased that day.  He said "sure".  Well, he ended up charging me for ALL of the plates.  I contacted Ebay to let them know what he had done. 

Honored Contributor

As a buyer, I can only recall one really bad experience (many years ago) and that was just flat one bad seller.   She sold me an item as 'new' that was half used up.    Then she called me crazy for complaining - it turned into a whole thing.  

As a seller, I really only had one bad experience as well.  It was not only bad because the buyer used a stolen credit card to purchase an expensive piece of jewelry, but because Paypal who, BTW, authorized them to use that card (!) took the money back from me and I did nothing wrong.  THEY DID!   They let him sign up with that card and use it.  Big loss there for me.

Anyway, after they made it where sellers could no longer leave negative feedback for buyers I never sold again.  That just isn't right.    A buyer can rip you off and it's basically 'too bad, so sad' so they can rip off a bunch of people without anybody being able to put the information out there for others to see.

But I still buy a thing or two now and then.  Smiley Happy