Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

You can use a flash light...............I will have on my flameless candles and candles.  It is a good cause.

Turning your all electronics off for an hour does nothing for any cause. 

@Mellie32 I respectfully disagree.  I totally get that a small portion of the population turning off their devices for an hour doesn't make much of an impact but we are a wasteful society and are in reality paying for things we are not really using.  Maybe spending an hour in the dark so to speak would help drive this point home?

Please know I am sending this message I think during the outage and also have a TV on to keep me company but again folks would be pleasantly surprised at their electric bill if they made a few simple changes.

Honored Contributor

See map on link.

2016: Most Energy Efficient U.S. States

http://www.speedclean.com/news/2016-most-energy-efficient-u-s-states/

Honored Contributor

map

Respected Contributor

I messed up.

I read this right before it was about to start but I was too lazy to get up and turn out the light.

SMHSmiley Sad

Honored Contributor

From the report above:

1. California

This year, California ranks in as the most energy efficient state. Tied with Massachusetts for the number one spot, the state’s top scores for building energy codes and compliance helped boost their score. A notable increase in electricity savings is said to be due to strong policies and effective energy efficiency programs, like Senate Bill 350: Clean Energy and Pollution Reduction Act and Assembly Bill 802 – a new bench-marking disclosure program that grants access to building data for better understanding of its energy consumption.

Honored Contributor

It's a good thing that many people have evolved into a higher level of thinking, planet-wise.  Nice for our wonderful one-of-a-kind planet.  I often think of how lucky we are to have all of these beautiful colors that our earth offers.  Maybe not so on other planets.  Could be very drab, grey, colorless.  Who knows what lingers above and beyond.   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Are you participating?  At 8:30pm your time lights off one hour.............I am doing it.

@DowntonAbbey, I wasn't aware of this.  Sorry I didn't know because I could have done this with no problem.

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

Re: EARTH HOUR TONIGHT

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

No I will not participate because I think it is a foolish idea and no more than a token act.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

You can use a flash light...............I will have on my flameless candles and candles.  It is a good cause.

Turning your all electronics off for an hour does nothing for any cause. 

@Mellie32 I respectfully disagree.  I totally get that a small portion of the population turning off their devices for an hour doesn't make much of an impact but we are a wasteful society and are in reality paying for things we are not really using.  Maybe spending an hour in the dark so to speak would help drive this point home?

Please know I am sending this message I think during the outage and also have a TV on to keep me company but again folks would be pleasantly surprised at their electric bill if they made a few simple changes.

When, in the many years people have been doing this, has the point ever been driven home?  Turning off your electricity for an hour hoping to cure the woes of a wasteful society will do as much as a handful of people not eating sugar for an hour to battle the obesity problem in America. 

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Are you participating?  At 8:30pm your time lights off one hour.............I am doing it.

@DowntonAbbey, I wasn't aware of this.  Sorry I didn't know because I could have done this with no problem.

You can do it anytime -- you just turn off all electronics for an hour.  It will help save the planet!