Trusted Contributor

You can use a flash light...............I will have on my flameless candles and candles.  It is a good cause.

Honored Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

You can use a flash light...............I will have on my flameless candles and candles.  It is a good cause.

Indeed it's a nice thing to do to demonstrate awareness of how It's Good To Be Green (which it is), but what does it DO, materially, turning off your electric appliances for an hour?

Anyone who does it already knows the issue. Anyone who doesn't know and isn't aware of the symbolism isn't going to pay any attention or even notice unless it's every house for blocks around. I understand that people hope for that type of support, but I don't think it happens as often as people hope it will.

There's always knocking on your neighbors' doors and telling them face to face why you've turned your lights off, but that probably wouldn't go down well.

There's nothing wrong with the gesture, and anyone who wants to do it will at least feel that they are doing something, and that's good. But I don't feel that changing how people think by turning off your lights for an hour is likely. Not suggesting anyone not do it, or that it's a bad idea, but rather not as world-affecting as some think.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: EARTH HOUR TONIGHT

[ Edited ]

Where I live, entire neighborhoods go dark.  People notice, but then again, the Earth movement began right here in GG Park back in the late 60s/early 70s.

I've noticed lately that a lot of people on Chat comment on people taking part in social activism doing it to impress others.  I don't know where that comes from.  I've been a social activist since I was pretty young and I've never known activists to care about what anyone thinks of them except maybe their mother at times.

Honored Contributor

No. What is it suppose to prove? I like my lights and my power ON.

Honored Contributor

I conserve energy as much as I can and you would be surprised the difference in your electric bill if you unplug things that you don't use every day but it's easy for me to say as I live alone.  I appreciate a day like this as it is a gentle reminder that perhaps at times we could re-think the amount of energy we use and pay for needlessly.

Super Contributor

@Noel7  -  ITA.

@Noel7 wrote:

Yes, indeed.  I don't have grandchildren but I care about those of others.

I also believe in the precept that we are called to be stewards of the earth.

Honored Contributor

Re: EARTH HOUR TONIGHT

[ Edited ]

We've been noticing that there are a lot of people around here who are genuinely earth and energy conscious; yet, many sit in their cars, engines running, texting for ten, twenty minutes.  Before leaving, and also after arriving home.  I really don't think that they are thinking about how counter-productive they are, earth and energy-wise.  Just thought I'd throw it into the mix, especially since my walking around the neighborhood friends and I were just discussing the subject this very morning.  .....UPDATE:  Just this morning, there were three more drivers who left their cars running.  One went back into his house for twenty or so minutes, then came out and drove off.  The other two:  One was in his car, texting.  The other wasn't in his car, but the car was running.  All different cars/drivers.  My gosh, I guess that people now-a-days have plenty of money to waste on gasoline.  Never mind polluting the air.  It's becoming an epidemic around here.  Oh, wait!  Another driver was outside the school entrance, across the street, sitting there texting.  I'm guessing he was waiting for his child?  Or maybe he lives on that side of street.  So, today makes six or seven cars within a few days.  All nearby.  All different cars/drivers/neighbors. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

If millions of people do this, it saves much energy.  You may think your part is small, and it is, but the power is in the people who join in an effort to make a difference.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Turning your all electronics off for an hour does nothing for any cause. 

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Turning your all electronics off for an hour does nothing for any cause. 

That is quite possibly true where you live, but not in the west and some other areas, and that's for sure.