Honored Contributor

Here is my nomination for drunk driving idiot of the year award.

There was a roll-over accident on a secondary road outside of Gallup, NM, this past week-end.  State police completely blocked the road and called for a medical helicopter to transport the injured.

Well, along comes this drunk who sped through the roadblock and when reaching the scene of the accident, rammed and badly damaged a fire truck.  Then he crashed into the helicopter and totally destroyed it.  The owner of the copter says the damage to the machine and all the medical equipment inside could run several million dollars.

Fortunately the injured had not yet been loaded and the first responders on the scene managed to get out of the way and avoided injury.  What do you want to bet that this fool has neglected to get the mandatory car insurance?  One thing he DID GET was a DWI.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Two questions.  How did HE survive?  Was he driving a tank?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I hope he gets locked up...and thank God no one was hurt by that fool...

Valued Contributor

Thankfully, in this case no one was hurt - sounds as if it was all property damage.  Unfortunately, all too often that's not the case.  Until there are serious penalties imposed, and I'm talking major long prison sentences, people will continue to drive drunk and risk innocent lives.  Rarely when they crash do drunks get seriously injured.

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

Thankfully, in this case no one was hurt - sounds as if it was all property damage.  Unfortunately, all too often that's not the case.  Until there are serious penalties imposed, and I'm talking major long prison sentences, people will continue to drive drunk and risk innocent lives.  Rarely when they crash do drunks get seriously injured.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

I agree with you, they should be locked up to protect the innocent, like even 1st responders. As long as you have people claiming "this is a disease", you will not see that happen. Their views are "they need rehabilitation, not time behind bars.

I have been a recovering alcoholic for decades now. My dad was a drunk and left my mom to raise myself and my 3 older sisters by herself. I never said "I have a genetically caused disease", because I believe "I made the choice to drink".

What you said, in my opinion, is long overdue.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

i agree with harsher punishments along with treatment.

While some do not like to use the term "disease" and prefer to see it as some sort of character flaw, what it really means is they do not understand the terminology itself.  By definition, it is a disease.

Esteemed Contributor

There is NOTHING good about alcohol. I wish it didn't exist. 

Respected Contributor

I don't think there is a person out there who hasn't been touched (if not now they will be) by the legal cancer of alcohol.

I gave up drinking years ago, not because it was a problem for me, but the fact that I had a father, uncle, a brother and many friends who couldn't handle it. That was enough for me. I had no desire to end up in that place.

Insidious.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Valued Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

I agree with you, they should be locked up to protect the innocent, like even 1st responders. As long as you have people claiming "this is a disease", you will not see that happen. Their views are "they need rehabilitation, not time behind bars.

I have been a recovering alcoholic for decades now. My dad was a drunk and left my mom to raise myself and my 3 older sisters by herself. I never said "I have a genetically caused disease", because I believe "I made the choice to drink".

What you said, in my opinion, is long overdue.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, john, I like you, gave up drinking a long time ago as alcholism has had a long history in my family and sadly it's primarily been the women who were the drunks.  I think back to my much younger years and all of the drinking and driving I did.  At 18 (the legal drinking age at that time), I got pulled over one night for running a red light.  The officer wrote me up for that, for bald tires, for a missing tail light, and an assortment of other things, but not once did it come up in the conversation that I was drunker than a skunk and had no business behind the wheel of a big old heavy Chevy.  I should have been hauled in right on the spot.  But drinking and driving was not something that was discussed, or frankly discouraged back then.  It was only through God's good graces that I never was involved in an accident and hurt anyone else or myself.  That particluar incident (there had been others) has stayed with me all of these years and I vowed I'd never do it again - and thankfully, I haven't. 

Esteemed Contributor

That is insane.....It sounds like a miracle no one else was injured during that fiasco.