Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 Us too Kachina....clouds in the pm but just lightning...we are lucky to have irrigation water for watering....while it lasts anyway....DW

Honored Contributor

As a California resident...this has been our way of life for many years, even though we did get a fairly normal amount of rain this past winter... 

brown lawns are okay.   I have planted more and more drought resistant plants, but do still like it when the grass turns green during our rainy winter months. 

Trusted Contributor

I live near Woodstock, NY and was surprised to hear of this drought.   We were getting thundershowers with at least 4" of rain daily for a while.    I was told that it was not soaking in.     

Right now, we are in a heat wave for a few days.     

Honored Contributor

Have lived in Southern California and Arizona for 46 years.    I admit it does get scary at times........mainly because of the fire danger.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Western New York is in a state of severe drought, as is a large part of Eastern Mass.  Of course, it's not like the long-term drought in California, but it's strange to see completely brown lawns so early in the summer and it's a hardship for farmers.  According to the US Drought Monitor, it looks like Woodstock may be in a sweet spot - normal conditions.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby hasn't had to cut the grass for a month. I am trying to keep the garden alive here in the NE.

Esteemed Contributor

Every year (I live in the south) it is the same weather report.  They go on and on about the drought in the summer and then we usually have a rainy fall and winter.  That is just the way it is, why talk it to death??

Trusted Contributor

We live in the Four Corners area of the Country...We are always in a drought..winter and summer for the past 10 years or so..but  luckly we have a good supply of irrigation water this year so my grass is almost all green...

My sister lives in NY she just sent me a pic of her lawn..its brown and strawlike...very weird for them..they usually have emerald green lawns...

We do have to irrigate most of the week...I mow about an acre of grass...DW

Respected Contributor

Like everyone else, we need rain.  They keep promising, but I just checked the radar -- there isn't a rain cloud to be found in the entire state.  Our lawn looks like hay and crunches under foot. Desiccated leaves are falling from the trees.

I tried to buy corn on the cob two days ago, but, I think from the lack of rain, the cobs were so skinny it was tough finding six good, i.e., fat, juicy ones.

Our air temperature went above 90º, with high humidity, earlier this afternoon. Just in case we weren't miserable enough, it was important we knew the "feel like" temperature was 105º.  I will think back to this day sometime next February, when snow has been piled up around our knees for about a month.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I'm in WNY and went to the local farmers market this morning.

The blueberry man (best blueberries EVER!) said that the variety he is selling now should be twice as large as they are. But the sugars are concentrated, so they are extra tasty.

We never have a drought like this one we are in now. The rain has literally gone to the north, south and east of Buffalo.