Trusted Contributor

Driving from Western NY to California Coast?

Is this something you would ever consider doing?  It has been a life long (almost) dream of mine to go to the Redwood Forest.  There is no way I will every fly.  I just can't do it, so I was wondering how crazy it would be to drive cross country.  It could be a problem talking my husband into it, but it might be worth a try.

Has anyone else ever driven cross country?  Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Driving from Western NY to California Coast?

[ Edited ]

Sue, we took 5 weeks and did it in the summer of 1991, with 2 kids, what a fabulous experience it was. You will go thru towns you cant imagine ever exist. We took southern route out and northern route back. But, would love to do it again, and see all that we missed. It is impossible to see this big country of ours all in one trip.  You really cant plan the entire trip ahead of time, basicslly you pack up like you are getting away for a week, knowing there will laundry to be done in hotels, or trips t othe laundromat, which I actually enjoyed.  But basically you just get in the car and take off, and play most of it by ear. Everyday becomes an experience, some memories not even good ones, but memorable either way.

Respected Contributor

Let me know when ur leaving and I'll go with you! I've been wanting to do that since I graduated in 1971!
"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Contributor

I've done the cross country drive several times over several different routes and it's not that difficult to do at all.  The country's interstate system was designed for that sort of thing so there's always a ready supply of gas stations, hotels, and restaurants.  I would try to get off the interstates from time to time though and see something of the back roads.  And if you go on a northerly route across states like Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon etc. I guarantee you'll see more impressive sites than Redwood National Park along the way.

Trusted Contributor

As a child, I did it twice with my family. One summer, we did the southern part of the country and another we did the northern part of the county. I don't know how long we took, but we had time. We could stop along the way as we wished. 

Once you get to Chicago, you can drive old Route 66 to L. A. That would be a lot of fun, too. I follow that route quite a bit when driving my mom to and from Arizona. We really enjoy it and look for different places to stop each year.

If you can take your time, I say do it. If you do not have time, look into the train. 

Enjoy the trip!

Honored Contributor

@Anita Bourbon wrote:

I've done the cross country drive several times over several different routes and it's not that difficult to do at all.  The country's interstate system was designed for that sort of thing so there's always a ready supply of gas stations, hotels, and restaurants.  I would try to get off the interstates from time to time though and see something of the back roads.  And if you go on a northerly route across states like Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon etc. I guarantee you'll see more impressive sites than Redwood National Park along the way.

This is exactly why we want to do this again, we did not see any of these states last time, totallly out of our way on the routes we took.

Respected Contributor

Not Calif. but I have driven from MI or NM to Alaska several times.

Esteemed Contributor

I took 4 weeks and drove from NJ to Cali. I was in my twenties and camped - such a great trip! There is so much to do along the way. Then drove the PCH from north to south - so much fun!
Respected Contributor

Have driven across country many times in my younger life. LOL.  From various starting points and various ending points - always fascinating except I recall driving across Texas was sure hot and miserable - had no AC in those days. Car was also full of 2 and 4 legged critters. My father was career army. So many places to see and I think travel is a great educator - things and people are different throughout this great country. So take the time if you do make the trip to also stop and see things. Enjoy!!

Respected Contributor

Since I just retired, this is in my plans for next spring or the following fall.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown