Respected Contributor

Re: Dressing Your Age. Whaaaa?

[ Edited ]

I am 67 years old. If I like it, I buy it...but I don't buy things that are too short, too tight, or show too much cleavage...also no stilettos.  I prefer to wear jewelry that could be defined as simple elegance.

I recently had an appointment with a Nurse Practitioner. She walked in with a white lab coat on that was not buttoned. She was showing a lot of leg..heavy legs. When she sat down, her skirt under the lab coat hiked up almost to the bottom of her panties. When she crossed her leg, you could see her panties if you wanted to look. She mentioned that she was 48 years old. She looked it, she was overweight, and she looked trashy. I don't care how good of a Nurse Practitioner she might be, I just found her appearance to be offensive. Should a medical clinic have to issue a dress code for their providers?

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

@Yardlie Now, that's a perfect example of trashy. Pretty easy to spot, huh?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brinklii wrote:

I am 67 years old. If I like it, I buy it...but I don't buy things that are too short, too tight, or show too much cleavage.

I recently had an appointment with a Nurse Practitioner. She walked in with a white lab coat on that was not buttoned. She was showing a lot of leg..heavy legs. When she sat down, her skirt under the lab coat hiked up almost to the bottom of her panties. When she crossed her leg, you could see her panties if you wanted to look. She mentioned that she was 48 years old. She looked it, she was overweight, and she looked trashy. I don't care how good of a Nurse Practitioner she might be, I just found her appearance to be offensive. Should a medical clinic have to issue a dress code for their providers?

@Yardlie, in my opinion that would be a yes.  All the years I worked in the medical profession, we had a dress code. It's always wonderful seeing someone look so professional.

Like the women at Hooters (which I don't like) wear but it's part of their job and some NFL cheerleaders prancing about (for men) in their little outfits, which I know are equivalent to bikini's and such..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

I dress to suit my body, and while that's changed over the years, my style never has. I won't let a number on a calendar dictate how I should dress. 

In the fall, there a lot of visitors from other countries visiting on my little island, and I often see women whom I'd guess are 70+ in bikinis on the beach. For the most part, they're in pretty good physical shape, but they are the age they are. As they walk by, chatting in French or German or Spanish or Norwegian, I've never once thought "she should know better". Instead, I wish that I could feel that positive about my mid 50's self. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep I bet you look great in your jacket, just keep being you. Age doesn't mean you have to dress in certain clothes, and I agree with you completely that classy vs trashy has nothing to do with age. You see that all over the age spectrum. Frankly I see far more "trashy " looking younger women.

My Mom is 81 and just got a pair of JLo jeans. We got them because they are petites and the perfect length for her, they fit, and she just looks darn cute in them. She was worried and asked me if the J LO name shows on them lol, it's a very subtle nameplate and she wears everything untucked anyway. I just love that she still dresses cute and has a stylish hairstyle at her age. I want her to feel good about herself, and doing those things helps.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@pattypeep I bet you look great in your jacket, just keep being you. Age doesn't mean you have to dress in certain clothes, and I agree with you completely that classy vs trashy has nothing to do with age. You see that all over the age spectrum. Frankly I see far more "trashy " looking younger women.

My Mom is 81 and just got a pair of JLo jeans. We got them because they are petites and the perfect length for her, they fit, and she just looks darn cute in them. She was worried and asked me if the J LO name shows on them lol, it's a very subtle nameplate and she wears everything untucked anyway. I just love that she still dresses cute and has a stylish hairstyle at her age. I want her to feel good about herself, and doing those things helps.

Good for her @Greeneyedlady21 !

Age dressing has changed over time.  A couple of decades ago, I never saw mature ladies wearing jeans unless it was to a picnic or camping. 

Now probably most of us wear jeans often.

Respected Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

I am 67 years old. If I like it, I buy it...but I don't buy things that are too short, too tight, or show too much cleavage...also no stilettos.  I prefer to wear jewelry that could be defined as simple elegance.

I like that you point out that she "looked" 48 as if there is a certain "look" and that she had heavy legs. As if a person with thin chicken legs can pull off the look. 

Your 67 do you "look" that old? or older? 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am a person who carries weight around my middle - much thanks to prednisone - and hips so I can absolutely never wear skinny anything. My pants MUST be straight legs and my capris can't be those ones that are slim at the bottom, as that would really emphasize my rotund middle.However, on this board I frequently hear posters malign anyone who would wear capris that are loose at the bottom as being oh so dowdy and passe' and matronly etc etc etc. Why can't some women understand that not everyone has the same body to dress and that we all have to do that which is best looking for us, even though it may not be the current trend? Isn't it sad that these posters have to say such ugly things to make someone else feel bad? 

Wow, it amazes me that my response to you was deleted when all I did was use your line and ask you to apply it to yourself. 

Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

I don't understand how you could have been offended.  That's a pretty strong reaction. 

But more so, you don't care how good she is?  I assume you went for medical help, I'd care very much how good she was at her job, to heck with the size of her legs, one way or another.

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21  Your mom sounds awesome and..............

prettythankyou.gif

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein