Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

As little as possible.  The older I get, the less tolerant I am about people and their "issues."

Here is a quote I love by a facebook page, "Aunty Acid" 

Every time you feel yourself being pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat theses words...
"not my circus, not my monkeys"

@MyGirlsMom  That is a great quote and DH and I use it once in awhile. Funny though, we say it the other way around..."not my monkeys, not my circus"...LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

As little as possible.  The older I get, the less tolerant I am about people and their "issues."

Here is a quote I love by a facebook page, "Aunty Acid" 

Every time you feel yourself being pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat theses words...
"not my circus, not my monkeys"

@MyGirlsMom  That is a great quote and DH and I use it once in awhile. Funny though, we say it the other way around..."not my monkeys, not my circus"...LOL

@Susan Louise

We say it the other way 'round too! Woman LOL

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

Lol!  Yes. I say, this is my circus and these are my monkeys when talking about my kids. 

Honored Contributor

I have found through all my life of being a military wife and living in eight different states that one's drama is not necessarily someone else's drama. So what is big to me may be insignificant to you. I've seen people fly off the handle over the smallest issue but sweep a really big problem under the rug.

I don't believe that its always cut and dry how someone grew up because one can grow up in a stable household that was a nuclear family but can't cope with everyday issues because that was taken care of when they were growing up. 

I don't have any drama in my life and if my kids ask me for my opinion I give it and they know that their Mom will answer drama free.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

Since I retired I've been free of drama. I choose my friends wisely and luckily they're free of it as well. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Are you a person with a lot of drama in your life, or very little to none? 

I have very little drama in my life now.    As a child I had a lot of drama inflicted by family members around me and which I had no control over.  Divorces, fighting, yelling etc.   As an adult I now CHOSE who and what I let into my life....no drama, no highs and lows...pretty even and steady sailing.  People who caused or now cause me angst I shut out of my life( including family members) so I can keep my life smooth and steady. I am in control and do not let others create my reality any more.  

@SeaMaiden

I am glad that you have a peaceful life now after what sounds like a very drama-filled childhood.  My life sounds like it is just the opposite of yours.  When I was a child, my immediate and small family was very loving and got along great - no drama!  After my dad became ill and passed away at a very young age, all that changed and our lives were never the same.  Now --- the drama and turmoil never stops.  Hardly anyone gets along and it's continually bickering, nastiness, drama, blah, blah, blah.  It really does a number on you and ages you, that's for sure.  I have to tell myself continually --- you can only control your actions --- not theirs -- and you are not responsible for what they do and say, nor did you cause it.  But the stress at times is overwhelming.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  Family stuff is so difficult  as it puts you in such a hard place. Wishing you peace when things flair up and that you can disengage yourself from it  when it does. 

Honored Contributor

Watch Dr. Phil when he does these kind of shows. He always talks about his Father issues and how he made something of his self in spite of his mean Father.   He's an inspiration to me. He cut the man out of his life and felt like a wgt was taken off his shoulders, etc.   He credits Robin for being his 'soft place to fall', etc.

I got a older sister who I could do without, but, I just keep her at arms length and get by that way. Plus, I moved to Tx. that didn't hurt either.

LOL

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  Family stuff is so difficult  as it puts you in such a hard place. Wishing you peace when things flair up and that you can disengage yourself from it  when it does. 

@SeaMaiden

Thank you so much for your kind words.  Much appreciated!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I remember Oprah back when saying she got rid of "toxic people" and learned how to say "no".   That's stayed in my head all these yrs.

ah ha moment. LOL

Easy for her to say; she doesn't have kids.  Some of us really don't want drama, but it's forced upon us because of our children whom we don't want to turn our backs on. 

I agree, kids = drama. Sometimes to protect yourself you do have to turn your back on grown children. For them, it could be a hard lesson but one best learned. Hope this does not sound too harsh, been there done that and it was hard for me too.