Honored Contributor

Whenever I get a call asking for donation the first thing I ask them  is if they are a telemarketer.I won't donate to that because they take a huge percentage of the money.I just have a couple of charities that I give to now and I don't give them access to my card or bank.I just mail a cheque at the time of my choosing.i cant believe how many of them get upset when I say that I planned to give ten dollars and work me to get more.You know they must be getting a percentage themselves.

Valued Contributor

I have volunteered for a number of local and statewide non-profit organizations and helped prepare letters to donors.

For all the orgs I have mailed for I learned one thing i'd like to pass on to you. 

I didn't read the whole thread, so perhaps this was already said. 

In order to make use of the lowest cost of bulk mailing, non-profits need to include an "ask" in each mailing they send out.  Even if the letter is a thank you for a previous donation, the "ask" must be included.

Most groups are aware that this is read as greedy by many, but it is a necessity to receive the savings of bulk mailing.

Honored Contributor

Like I said before my elderly mother is on a fixed income but still likes to give to charities that are important to her. I keep a record of when and how much she gives. She gave to the American Heart on February 9. She got mail from them yesterday and today seeking a donation! This really angers me! They are counting on the fact you won't remember donating and will donate again. 

Super Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Like I said before my elderly mother is on a fixed income but still likes to give to charities that are important to her. I keep a record of when and how much she gives. She gave to the American Heart on February 9. She got mail from them yesterday and today seeking a donation! This really angers me! They are counting on the fact you won't remember donating and will donate again. 

30 days is too short of a time for a major charity to have received a check and then prevent a pre-sheduled mailing to go out to a donor who recently gave. It basically crossed in the mail. Maddening, I know, but reality.

Honored Contributor

@moto wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

30 days is too short of a time for a major charity to have received a check and then prevent a pre-sheduled mailing to go out to a donor who recently gave. It basically crossed in the mail. Maddening, I know, but reality.

The only thing is my mother got her February checking account statement (I reconcile it for her) and the check was cashed. How could they not know she sent a donation if they already cashed the check?

Honored Contributor

Re: Donating To Charities

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2

Because it is huge huge organization!  Chances are the check went one place, and her name another to be logged in.  They get thousands and thousands of checks everyday.  It takes over a month  to just get her name on the mailing list, and scheduled for calls.

Not to worry.  They will find her, and keep begging for money.  Most of the charities remind of the book, IF YOU GIVE A MOUSE A COOKIE, lol!

I donate on a monthly basis to my favorite charity, and they never call except to thank me, and invite me to events.  But I have donated in the past to charities, that call after you give, for another donation.  They thank me for my generosity, then proceed to tell me how I would care that they need more funds for research, blah blah blah.  I was really outraged. Now i never give money to any charity that has a high overhead and salaries.  The first thing I do is check the percentage that actually goes to the cause. .  Unfortunately most of these larger charities that are always soliciting make salaries beyond a normal salary.  Their overhead is high, and give elaborate events to raise money.  JMHO

Honored Contributor

I donate twice a year to my favorite charities - June and December. I shred anything else I get. I don't let their repeated mailings or requests for more change that. If there is a natural disaster or other specific need at another time then I usually give something to that cause. 

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty 

Not to worry.  They will find her, and keep begging for money.  Most of the charities remind of the book, IF YOU GIVE A MOUSE A COOKIE, lol!

Isn't this the truth?   LOL  Years ago we donated on a telethon and just threw away the onslaught of envelopes and ended up getting a final notice.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@moto wrote:

The only thing is my mother got her February checking account statement (I reconcile it for her) and the check was cashed. How could they not know she sent a donation if they already cashed the check?

I work in the finance department of a large national charity. We struggle to close our books at the end of each month, and usually do so by the middle of the next month.

Those donors who gave during that prior month are not entered into our database until maybe 6 weeks after the payment was received. If the marketing department pulls the names they want to mail to by filtering for those who recently gave as of the first of that month. there is always a risk we mail to someone who recently gave.

Or sometimes, we misread or have a typo in a donor name and don't realize that we are mailing to someone who already gave. This is our constant challenge.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Besides helping homeless on the street, I donate to 2 things.  My church and Dr Susan Love Research Found. and our local cat rescue.  I have scoured where the money goes.  I have even been to the foundation headquarters.  I would never donate to many huge foundation charities.  The money goes for saleries, and promotions.

@shoekitty

I recently learned about the  "A Cat's Tale"  no-kill shelter  in Redondo Beach, CA when I saw this was one of the local community choices that our Ralph's (Kroger Grocery chain) will donate to based on my purchases.    Not only did I select them as my Ralph's choice, but I send them money quarterly.