Trusted Contributor

I donate to 3 charities every year, and even if I've just sent a donation, I get an email soon after, asking for another. I think it's just their practice, therefore I don't even let it bother me. I give when I want to give and that's that. don't waste your energy letting it upset you. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Donating To Charities

[ Edited ]

I only donate locally. The VFD, the Humane Society, and a nearby wildlife rehab. All mailed directly to them. They don't send reminders, they can't afford to do that.

Honored Contributor

I donate monthly to First Fruits, which helps a family shelter, a women's shelter, and a home my parish bought to help refugees get settled.  These focus on job training, life preparation, employment, and helping families and women get on their feet.   I donate monthly to my church.   I donate quarterly to DAV and St Vincent de Paul.   I donate annually to United Way but designate the specific charity to receive my donation and my employer's matching donation.  

Honored Contributor

I donate every month to two local charities in my town.  They always send envelope with my thank you I get from them time to time.   I just feel good about giving to help feed families in my town. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I donate when I have a windfall or some extra money unexpectedly.  Sharing the luck, I guess.

So there are charities I give to more than once a year, but of course one can't give everytime there is a request.  Talk to your mom maybe about what she would like to be an annual gift.

$10 here and there probably don't add up to much, but she could make a donation near the end of the year, as many people do, and that would be it.

Honored Contributor

i give a few times a year, but i just gave to numerous charities right before the holidays. during january and february the same charities have been sending me solicitations again. they have gone right into the trash can. i will be ready to donate again when spring is here. what a waste of postage and paper......they could be SAVING a lot of money. maybe they should just send out coupon books once or twice a year instead of mailings every few weeks.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@PAlady wrote:

Jordan2 -   If a charity I have donated to does that, I just throw the envelope away.  Other than my local Humane Society, I only donate once a year. 

Hope this helps.

Same here. I am not a "regular" donator. If I'm moved to donate to a cause, it's *once a year* and if I get continuous mailings I stop donating to that charity. They must not need my money if they use most or all of it up sending me mailings.

Good point!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Donating To Charities

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

My elderly mother is on a fixed income but still likes to give donations to charities that are important to her. I keep a list so I know when and how much she has given. Anyway she gets a letter from one of the charities thanking her for the donation but have enclosed an envelope and card asking for more! She sent them $10 about 10 weeks ago and will donate another $10 at the six month mark. I'm really annoyed by this. It's as if the $10 isn't enough. Also they are counting on the fact you won't remember when you last sent a donation. My question is how often in a calendar year do you donate to a charity?

I donate a set amount automatically to the ASPCA every month, otherwise I donate to the charities that I donate to once every year, at the end of the year, right after Christmas when PayPal does their 1% match to charities that you donate to.

Esteemed Contributor

I send money to only 2 about 4 times a year....St Jude's and Crohns & Colitis foundation.

The will send out another request it seems right after I mail a check, but I throw those in the circular file....

Respected Contributor

I donate when and if I can.  All the mailings go in the recyle container without being opened.  I usually give to the Salvation Army and ASPCA.