Honored Contributor

Re: Don't you just hate it when the power goes out?

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Our power suddenly failed, so my husband called the Edison company right away. We went out to lunch.WE came home to a still dark house. Edison called us back and said a crew was on its way. These people are great. hey work in terrible weather and its dangerous work

We think a limb might have fallen on a line,as it's windy here today. Anyway my hubby  hooked my computer up to a generator, so I am able to ass the time online.

I can't think of anything I dislike more, than having no electricity. How about you?

I love it when the power goes out, especially at night.

I figure, if our great-grands survived life before electricity, I can survive for a few hours or even days without it.

I didn't know that we could say the "a" word here! *lol*

I don't mind an occasional power outage, as long as it isn't because of horrible weather where people are sustaining flooding or wind damage etc. 

It's nice to shut down, do some things the 'old way' and realize that this is the peace that life once was, before all this crazy stuff we think is 'essential' today.

We have a generator (two of them actually) so if it lasts more than 12 hours we can be back up and running, and it becomes hard to do without for days on end, but an occasional no power evening is kind of refreshing.

Honored Contributor

The telephone poles in our neighborhood get hit on a fairly routine basis knocking out the power. It never used to be a problem as the power would be back up in an hour or two. Lately the power outages have been much longer (18-28 hours) for some reason. The electric company trucks show up almost immediately and then they just sit there for hours and hours at a time. It's like they have a specialty crew to replace poles and the rest just hang around killing time until that crew shows up. The worst was maybe five years ago when the crew didn't show up for about 18 hours then the truck parked right by the pole broke down and stallled out, making the basket unusable and the truck couldn't be moved. It took them about six hours for a mechanic to show up. He worked on the truck for an hour or so, then drove off. He came back a bit later with a new battery and finally got that truck working again and the crew came back then and got the power back on, but it was 28 hours which is a long time without power in the winter.

I don't know if they've cut the crews they have, if they've become more specialized, or what the deal is, but those short outages we used to have are gone. Now it takes forever to replace a pole when one gets hit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Just moved back to civilization and prior to that lived very rural.  When there was a power outage many times we were without power for 7-10 days bc they begin restoration of power in the more populated areas first.  I'm having a home built in the burbs and once it is ready, everything will be gas and I'm no longer on well/septic which means water (yeah). I'll be near many businesses and other homes so power will be restored much quicker.