Honored Contributor

Re: Don't store Santas get a crash course in dealing with the public?

@Carmie wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Santa was wrong, however I wonder if this boy was actually as upset as he said he was. Why would his mother and the boy open up this incident for discussion with the public?

Most people would be really humiliated and want to keep this quiet as not to cause any embarassment.

With the invention of social media, it seems many want their 15 minutes even if it is negative exposure.

It's good they did. That Santa has no place dealing with children. What would he say to someone who had other issues?

I would have been horrified to have this discussed publically if it happened to me or someone in my family. Mom should have settled this with Santa and the Mall in a private matter.

Now, everyone in America and possibly abroad is involved.  If the kids was hurt and embarassed, you would think public exposure would make it worse.

Some people need their 15 minutes.  I feel sorry for this child.  He will now face teasing for this incident for a long time.... and not from Santa.

He has probably dealt with teasing all of his life

Respected Contributor

I think the mom wanted to get back at Santa. 

It's not how I would have handled it, but people are quick to go public with things like this.

Honored Contributor

Seriously...lol    The kid knows he's fat, his mom knows he's fat.  He's been dealing with the problem all his life.  And helloooooooo....being obese might be a challenge for him but it is not embarrassing...lol   Being fat isn't a sin or a crime, it's not embarrasing...lol   Having said that, assuming his parents went public with this, it was NEVER about the child.   The story was about a store employee and and the store that appaently thinks it's acceptable to demean and insult a child.  That's why it's story to begin with and I really hope that people away from this board get it.  Like I said,  I wish people would substitute "Down's Syndrome" for "obese" and then look inward and to see how they feel about the Santa...not the child. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

....and this is why doctors often don't discuss a patient being overweight/obese with the patient; especially a pediatrician.

Should the Santa have said something?No. Is he correct? Yes. 

It's so sad.

This kid is morbidly obese.

At this rate, he's going to live a very, very short life.

Obviously this kid's village' doesn't care about him so

maybe the best 'person' to tell the truth is Santa.

@sidsmom

Do you really believe the kid has no idea that he's obese, so some man in a fat suit should tell him?

Please see the info posted on the cause of many children being overweight.

First off...I, personally, know about childhood weight issues & the particular cause your point out...you don't have to lecture me on that...so I know what I'm talking about.  

Silver Lining:

If, in this case, the boy is affected by the common underlining cause of childhood obesity, then having this story go public & exposing the parent(s) for what is true issue is...could be life saving for this child.  

Having an unknown guy in a Santa suit tell the truth...might give this child the strength he needs to tell someone he's being abused & begin the healing he needs.  

This might be the best thing to happen to this kid.  Twenty years from now, when he's healthy & trim, he could tell us this was a pivotal point in his life...and he took a negative and made it a positive.

We all get sh*t thrown our way...even at a very young age.  

It's a World of Half-Empty or Half-Full.

He would wallow in this for the rest of his life...or it could propel him to do better & rise above it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie

There is a major movement now to fight body shaming.  Many, many people believe in bringing the subject to public awareness, airing it, so to speak.

They are not ashamed and they want to stop those who want to make them feel that way.

It's actually very common now, I see it on TV, in articles, etc.  Amy Shummer has been involved in that movement, they feel they should not be forced to hide or let others get away with trying to hurt them.  I support that.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

....and this is why doctors often don't discuss a patient being overweight/obese with the patient; especially a pediatrician.

So fat shaming is perfectly alright....as long as you are right?  Does that work for everything?  

@chrystaltree  Did I say it was alright? No, I did not. Do not put words into my mouth, thank you VERY much.

I WAS the fat kid. I know exactly what this boy is feeling. I also know many doctors who cringe when the topic of discussing a childs' weight needs to be brought up with parents and the parents become hositle. I also know doctors who deal with adults and cringe having to discuss weight with them; NO ONE wants to hear they are overweight. In todays society, the medical community is told if you say something, you're "body shaming" the patient. But it's the doctors fault for "not telling me I need to lose weight".

Is the child overweight? Yes he is. We can see it. Should Santa have said something? No.  Where, EXACTLY, did I say it was acceptable for body shaming to occur? PLEASE point it out to me.  Oh, that's right, you can't.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

So fat shaming is perfectly alright....as long as you are right?  Does that work for everything?  

@chrystaltree  Did I say it was alright? No, I did not. Do not put words into my mouth, thank you VERY much.

I WAS the fat kid. I know exactly what this boy is feeling. I also know many doctors who cringe when the topic of discussing a childs' weight needs to be brought up with parents and the parents become hositle. I also know doctors who deal with adults and cringe having to discuss weight with them; NO ONE wants to hear they are overweight. In todays society, the medical community is told if you say something, you're "body shaming" the patient. But it's the doctors fault for "not telling me I need to lose weight".

Is the child overweight? Yes he is. We can see it. Should Santa have said something? No.  Where, EXACTLY, did I say it was acceptable for body shaming to occur? PLEASE point it out to me.  Oh, that's right, you can't.

She  did the same thing to me, after I repeadly stuck up for this child, and posted the article ,because I was appalled a Santa  could do this ,and get away with it

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

It's so sad.

This kid is morbidly obese.

At this rate, he's going to live a very, very short life.

Obviously this kid's village' doesn't care about him so

maybe the best 'person' to tell the truth is Santa.

@sidsmom

Do you really believe the kid has no idea that he's obese, so some man in a fat suit should tell him?

Please see the info posted on the cause of many children being overweight.

First off...I, personally, know about childhood weight issues & the particular cause your point out...you don't have to lecture me on that...so I know what I'm talking about.  

Silver Lining:

If, in this case, the boy is affected by the common underlining cause of childhood obesity, then having this story go public & exposing the parent(s) for what is true issue is...could be life saving for this child.  

Having an unknown guy in a Santa suit tell the truth...might give this child the strength he needs to tell someone he's being abused & begin the healing he needs.  

This might be the best thing to happen to this kid.  Twenty years from now, when he's healthy & trim, he could tell us this was a pivotal point in his life...and he took a negative and made it a positive.

We all get sh*t thrown our way...even at a very young age.  

It's a World of Half-Empty or Half-Full.

He would wallow in this for the rest of his life...or it could propel him to do better & rise above it.  

Yes! This! ^

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

Re:

"Having an unknown guy in a Santa suit tell the truth...might give this child the strength he needs to tell someone he's being abused & begin the healing he needs."

No, it doesn't help.  That's been shown over and over again.  It has been shown over and over again that the opposite is true: the more a child or anyone is teased or shamed about their weight, it adds to the problem.  It does nothing to help the person.

There are many, many studies showing that, I assume some are online, for anyone interested in the subject. 

Honored Contributor

Making a nine year old cry ,has no redeeming qualities at all.