Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Oh wow, the way men shop.  Just give them convenient and inexpensive and they think they've done a good job. 

Gues this post will get blasted out of the water for male bashing. 

I don't agree with you, but not because of male bashing.  I just think you're generalizing too much.

Not all men are the same, just as not all women are the same.  We're all individuals.

(Most of the men I know - both friends & family - definitely do not look for convenient and inexpensive!  All men don't shop the same, and all women don't shop the same either.)

@NYC Susan

I agree.  DH does NOT purchase cheap or inexpensive.  In fact, he often pays more than I do for a purchase, if he wants it.  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

I used to buy all the large cans of soup and have tried some of their frozen foods, all good.

The best product they sell are the poop bags for dog walking. Can't beat $1 for 50 bags.

I bought their canned cat food to feed the ferals and they loved it.

Honored Contributor

I've run in for certain things before, but am not a usual shopper.

Tinfoil from China or Reynolds Wrap----I'm leary of BOTH!

There's a store I would pass called *Five Below*.  I thought it was a ski shop/gear or something.  It's not, it's a store where everything is $5 or less.  LOL.

Respected Contributor

Do you have a Aldi's on your area?

They have their version of paper towels that to me are almost a exact dupe to Bounty. Eight Roll Pack for $5.99.

They have 75' Aluminum Foil for $1.99!

Every holiday they have a holiday motiff paper towel..They are so darn cute..

I love Aldi's..I was very put off at first until my sister convinced me to give it a whirl...now I love the place. The quality of their items is top notch..I love their version of OJ in the see through container (their version of Simply Orange..

I even ran into my husbands MD in there lol.

I buy odds/ends at the Dollar Tree...but have never convinced myself to try food items though.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

There's a store I would pass called *Five Below*.  I thought it was a ski shop/gear or something.  It's not, it's a store where everything is $5 or less.  LOL.

For years I thought it was a ski shop too!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

In SoCal most were 99 Cents Only stores. I would browse there from time to time & pick up odds & ends.

On the Central Coast there seem to be all three - 99 cents, Dollar Tree & Dollar General. The one Dollar Tree I went into in SoCal, I left after 3 minutes. Not my thing, that one. But I know all the stores vary widely in size and stock, so I'm sure there are good ones.

Just generally, I don't buy much of what most of them usually have. I went more often to Big Lots, which used to be Pic 'n Save. They were more than a dollar on most things but they had more interesting, more name-branded things that I was interested in.

@Moonchilde  Tell me this ...... we jut have the Dollar Store, Dollar Tree, and Family Dollar stores in my State.....do the 99 cent stores really have all those funny and crazy product that Jay Leno used to show....I just loved when he did the 99 cent store segments---LOL!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I've run in for certain things before, but am not a usual shopper.

Tinfoil from China or Reynolds Wrap----I'm leary of BOTH!

@Lucky Charm  ..... I also thought the "Five Below" stores was a sports equipment store (sking gear, coats, scuba equipment etc)---Thank you for solving a mystery for me---LOL!!!! I'll have to check them out....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

There is a real nice Dollar Tree in my favorite shopping center----I love to browse and shop that store......I have purchased gift bags, gift boxes, office supplies, Kleenex brand tissues, children's books, and coloring books and crayons (for needy kid gift bags at Christmas), even a couple of seasonal outdoor items, and other miscellaneous merchandise...Never purchased food (but a friend's daughter has--no problem) I've always been pleased with my purchases.....the employees are also very nice at that store too....

Some of these type of stores are better than others....

Honored Contributor

Re: Dollar Store

[ Edited ]

Re: major brands: Who knows exactly where aluminum comes from or where it's processed......Almost all companies now-a-days are using materials made/processed somewhere else.  I'll have to take a look at my generic/store brand aluminum foil, etc.  So far, I haven't noticed any type of odor/chemicals re: dollar store foil, etc.  One nice thing is that we can find a variety of items within one smaller space (vrs. large supermarkets, etc.).  It's really 'handy'/convenient (time wise) when we need a few or even more items.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I have several dollar stores in my area and am a pretty savvy shopper, so I get great deals.   It's also fun to walk in and know you can afford anything in the store!  LOL

My latest find was a product called Fresh Drop ... and it's a generic of Poo-Pourri!   It's very effective in the you know where.  lol

Maybe these will help some who are new to dollar stores:

http://bargainbabe.com/draft-10-things-you-should-always-buy-at-a-dollar-store/

http://hip2save.com/2015/10/22/15-items-to-buy-at-dollar-tree-and-10-items-not-to-buy-at-dollar-tree...

http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/things-you-always-should-buy-at-the-dollar-store

@Tinkrbl44  Thanks for posting the links to the articles very informative...Woman Very Happy