Trusted Contributor

It is dangerous these days to work in these stores.   To have a large dog with you is a smart idea.    With violent shoplifters and robberies, I don't blame anyone.   

Even if they did not have an appropriate home to leave him in, I would not criticize.

Times have indead changed.   

Respected Contributor

I would have been upset with the idiot dog handler. No one should have a dog off leash in public --- period. Particularly if it's untrained and a threat to cause injury to someone, even if it's just being playful. While they probably wouldn't have listened, I would have had to share my feelings about the incident, with some very stern advice. 

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

It is dangerous these days to work in these stores.   To have a large dog with you is a smart idea.    With violent shoplifters and robberies, I don't blame anyone.   

Even if they did not have an appropriate home to leave him in, I would not criticize.

Times have indead changed.   

No words...

Valued Contributor

Not clear about all of the circumstances but maybe the owner and boyfriend were unaware of your sweater issues.  Did you say anything to them about the dog behavior? With so many stores having security problems the dog might have been there for protection.  Luckily you were not injured.

Honored Contributor

I'd report that store to someone.... Police, Animal Control, BBB, someone. 

I love dogs. That dog may have been the sweetest, nicest dog in the world. You didn't know that. A large dog should never be loose like that. The owner is asking for a lawsuit or criminal charges if something happens.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dollar Store Dog

[ Edited ]

@Gabidog   No security issues.  This was a Dollar General Store in a small country town.  I heard him ask his girlfriend if she was ready to go.  So he must've just been there picking her up  

I didn't notice the picks on my sweater until I got home. They were on my shoulders and arms.  

Honored Contributor

I think people are just trying to see what they can get by with nowdays.

after all we got smash and grabs going on all the time and nothing happens to those people.

Poor people in big cities can't even go shop any more without asking a clerk to unlock the cabinet to get toothpaste, deodorant, etc.. 

People who can't stand to be away from their pets for what little time it takes to run to the store are just trying to see if they will get told you can't bring in animals. Starts with dogs, then, people will want to bring in pigs, ponies, ostrich, etc.

Give idiots an inch they will take a mile. I think I saw where the airlines now are putting their foot down on some of these weirdos

I don't want to be hugged by a python.

Valued Contributor
Unacceptable. All dogs I’ve ever seen in stores are on a leash and sometimes a harness as well.
Respected Contributor

Ownership of the breeds you mentioned requires a strong (physically and mentally) leader who is committed to working with the dog to become that dog's "alpha."  

We had an Am Staff aka pit bull. He was the sweetest dog ever! No aggression, no questionable behavior, for the years he was with us BUT my son 1. had him neutered right away since he was already 1 yr old when he adopted him, 2. worked extensively with him. Also have to credit the breeder as this dog was a great example of how nice the breed can be.

My little Sheltie bossed him around! He truly was a lovable boy. He was scary in appearance, though.

Esteemed Contributor

These days Dollar stores are having a hard time finding and keeping cashiers.  I guess they will put up with just about anything including boyfriends with big unleashed dogs. Every legitimate service dog I've seen has been well trained and you aren't supposed to pet them when they're "on duty". 

I'm a dog " nut" but your experience would've made me mad (at the owner). 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth