Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does facebook have any rules about what you can livestream?

@Mz iMac wrote:

You can see the same thing on YouTube.

Yes.  And all over the internet.  Facebook is very tame compared to what can easily be found elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

I've never seen anything like that on Facebook, or associated with it.  I suppose people get away with pushing the boundaries, until it is reported.

I've only seen too much political junk on Facebook lately, so have been avoiding it (except my small groups) until the dust settles.

Honored Contributor

You can have the nicest group on facebook and never be subjected to anything nasty.

Then you turn on the six o'clock news and see the worst things that people have posted on facebook. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

You can have the nicest group on facebook and never be subjected to anything nasty.

Then you turn on the six o'clock news and see the worst things that people have posted on facebook. 

Personally, I've never seen anything negative about Facebook on the evening news, or any other news.  And I watch TV news most of the day, as it's a large part of my job.

People post bad things all over the internet, and they stay there forever.  But they are not permitted to stay on Facebook at all.  Facebook is not the villain here.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I've never seen anything like that on Facebook, or associated with it.  I suppose people get away with pushing the boundaries, until it is reported.

I've only seen too much political junk on Facebook lately, so have been avoiding it (except my small groups) until the dust settles.

Same here, on both counts. I've never seen anything utterly horrible in my FB feed, and ever since Thursday I'm deleting 80% of anything political whatsoever. I'm just plain SICK of hearing all of it. ALL of it, even what I support.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Frequent Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

You can see the same thing on YouTube.

Yes.  And all over the internet.  Facebook is very tame compared to what can easily be found elsewhere.

I was thinking this too. It's not exclusive to Facebook. Not at all. I don't know how it could be controlled except for people reporting when they see it.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan A week or so ago the local news and the World News shows a disabled man being beaten by 4 teens on facebook.

You didn't at least hear about it?  I had to turn away.  I've seen many fights that were posted on facebook--shown on the news.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@NYC Susan A week or so ago the local news and the World News shows a disabled man being beaten by 4 teens on facebook.

You didn't at least hear about it?  I had to turn away.  I've seen many fights that were posted on facebook--shown on the news.

Yes, I saw that. It was all over the news and on the internet too.  I never saw it on Facebook.  Facebook doesn't put things like that on the internet. If someone posts something offensive, they take it off.  And - as several of us have said - they do it quickly.  It wasn't Facebook who beat that child or videotaped it, and they absolutely do not condone it.

People post horrible things all over the internet every day. It's the fault of the people who do it.  Facebook is pro-active in getting rid of such things.  Unfortunately, the rest of the internet doesn't always work that way

I was responding, btw, to someone who said that Facebook has become obscene. That is not my experience at all. I stated that in all my years on Facebook I have never seen anything offensive.  And that's the truth.