Respected Contributor

Does Anyone Else Love Tomato Sandwiches?

DH and I encountered someone selling field tomatoes at a roadside stand over the weekend. They looked delicious (and were), though we usually get them later in the season.

I use Italian or French bread (wider than baguettes), sprinkle with olive oil, then just a bit of salt and pepper. The most important part, of course, is flattening the bread lol. DH, on the other hand, uses mayo on his.

How about yours?

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Else Love Tomato Sandwiches?

Thick sliced home grown and soft white bread. That's all! No seasoning needed. Love them.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Regular Contributor

Home grown tomatoes sliced, lightly salted on white toast with Best Foods Mayo. Yum, Yum, Yum.

Honored Contributor

If they're fresh off one of the NJ farms, I eat them like an apple.

Centuries ago when my great aunt had a garden, we used to pick the tomatoes off the vines as soon as they turned red, wipe off the dirt, and sit right there in the garden and eat them.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Yum!! Love tomato sandwiches.

When we were kids and visited my uncle in VA in the summer, he had a big garden with lots of tomatoes. We would eat 2-3 sandwiches a day - white bread, tomatoes (still warm from the garden), Miracle Whip, salt/pepper.

LOL...Mom had to make a lot of extra trips to the store for bread.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Valued Contributor

Warm off the vine tomatoes thick sliced, soft white bread, mayo, salt and pepper. Best if eaten over the sink to catch drips.

Valued Contributor

I had one yesterday -- yum! I am growing purple tomatoes this year -- can't wait for those. Last week I bought some heirloom tomatoes at the Farmer's Market -- delicious!

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Honored Contributor

With crisp bacon! Although I must admit that I hadn't thought of just tomatoes. Maybe with plenty of Miracle Whip!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Since there have been a number of different threads on this subject already this season, may as well add my 2-cents here too......

Love, love, love a tomato sandwich on white bread with Miracle Whip.....MW adds a little tangy taste and it just sort of completes the delicious taste of the sandwich.

Sometimes I put really crisp bacon on my tomato sandwiches..... And sometimes I toast the bread first, then put a super sized slice of tomato on it and then a slice of American cheese or Kraft's sharp cheddar cheese, and put it in the toaster oven to melt the cheese......

Honored Contributor

Jersey tomatoes, fresh basil on artisan bread or roll