Honored Contributor

Do you use any online games to stimulate your brain?

I try to keep myself mentally sharp, if that is possible. My mother had alzheimers ,and so did all of her siblings

My father's side of the family, didn't have it, so I'm lucky there

I do online games, and puzzles, to  keep my brain active.  One of the places I use is ,luminosity ,and it's free, if any of you are interested

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you use any online games to stimulate your brain?

Thanks @cherry I do many of the games on the AARP website.

Respected Contributor

To stimulate my bra?

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

Hi, @cherry,  I like a lot of the Lumosity games.  I do others beyond the free ones.

I am best at problem solving and flexibility games, which tie in with my work skills.  My favorites are the word games, esp. Word Bubbles, Pet Detective (problem solving), Star Search (attention) and a few of the speed games.  Not too good at the Attention games that involve keen visual skills, but I like "Star Search."

Respected Contributor

I play Elevate on my iPad.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite  I go there after my training sessions to practice. Do they have another  game places  or program besides the free one?

I'm best at problem solving and flexibility

Respected Contributor

Hi, cherry,  They have a pay program but it is expensive.  I do it because I work at my desk so often and it gives me a chance to exercise my brain.  Alzheimer's runs in my family and I guess I started  because of that, but I continue because I really like the games.  I esp. like problem solving games but the logic and the new language games appeal to me too.  They renew me annually and I don't remember what it costs but it is less than a trip but more than a magazine subscription and I play a few games a day. 

I would miss the service if I stopped, even though I don't really think it prevents dementia.

Honored Contributor

It probably doesn't prevent dementia, but  I think it's still better to try to help yourself ,than be passive

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that tip, cherry.  I might try luminosity.  My natural tendency is to default to the most low-tech thing available, like crossword puzzles, the old school kind in paper books!

Sometimes it's frustrating, but mostly it's fun, like a detective story.  My mother was much more of a whiz at them and she often had 2 or 3 going.  Strangely, I find them esp. soothing while waiting in doctor's offices.  They are a little world unto themselves, and so absorbing I find I don't get as anxious waiting and restlessly flipping thru magazines...

Super Contributor

If you are going to get Alzheimers you are going to get it regardless of what you do to prevent it.