Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think it's possible . . .

@LilacTree wrote:

. . . to revive a romance that ended 24 years ago?  The two people really loved each other.

It's possible but unhighly likely.  24 years is a life time and the two people are not the same people they were 24 years ago.  And it wasn't all that great 24 years ago, which is obvious since they went their separate ways.  Something wasn't working for them. Why would you want to revive something that ended, perhaps ended badly?   Rather than tryig revive an ancient  and dead romance, the question should be if they are both free and interested in each other, should they take it slow and get to know each other and enjoy eah other and just see what happens.  My answer would be "yes" to that.   

Honored Contributor

@minkbunny wrote:

While I cannot speak to reconnecting with an old love, I can speak of finding love again - second chances - later in life.

I was 54 and widowed when I met my now husband who was 59 and divorced 16 years (and happily so).

When we met and the sparks flew, it was no different feelings than those that I felt as a teenager.  I learned, through him, that young love refers to the age of the love - not the lovers.

He asked me to marry him two weeks after we met (although we waited a year so the families could get to know each other, etc.)  I said, You don't even know me.  He said, I have known you forever, we just hadn't met.

Thirteen years later, the sparks are still flying.

LilacTree, if you feel that this is something you should do, follow your feelings. 

And Hi ! ,  hope you and your family are doing well.

@minkbunny

Hi minkbunny!!  I haven't seen you in a while, but then I wasn't posting much for almost two months.  I know how much you love your cowboy and love what he said!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Tutto è possibile!  (Anything is possible.)

Those of us -- of a certain age -- can appreciate those who have experienced what we've experienced.  There's a bond.

@just bee

Yes.  There is a bond, but he's a man and men can forget more than women can.

I won't do anything . . . too afraid of being rebuffed.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Be brave.

@just bee

It's amazing that one can still be a little girl inside and yet be so old.  I wonder if we ever really grow up!

This reminds me of a school assignment a few years ago.  My classmates and I were told to go to a local senior center and interview someone there.

I walked in and saw someone who reminded me of my mother.  She smiled at me and I felt there was a connection, so I sat down beside her and we started chatting.  I soon discovered that she might have not even really seen me when I'd walked in because she was going blind.  Her name was Trudie and she was well into her eighties.  And she was a newlywed.

@just bee

Wow, what an experience.  Good teacher!

It's funny: My mother married my stepfather -- a confirmed bachelor -- when they were both in their 50s.  But when I met Trudie I was impressed that she and her new husband were so much in love.  What an interesting life.  She had always wanted to be a nurse and she graduated from college but never worked as a nurse.  Her one regret in life.

She and her first husband had traveled all over the world and her children were all successful: A nurse, a doctor and a judge.

One of those chance meetings that has stuck with me.

@just bee

I can see why.  Good for her!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Of course it's possible!  The one or few issues that may have kept them apart 24 years ago may be moot today.  People have a way of changing, growing, letting things go, maturing...

If their's nothing illegal or immoral, hurting of other people, tell your friend to go for it! 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I have sent him birthday cards in the past and received no response.  Also photos of my girls and received no response.

I think this is the answer to your question @LilacTree. It doesn't appear that he is interested enough to go back to those "good years".  I'm sorry if this sounds cold, but he is not remebering those times the same way you are.  Perhaps he can't.  You are still mentally active, but maybe he isn't.  I would think that he would have reached out at some point and time if he were interested and that hasn't happened. 

Blessings on whatever you decide. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I read stories about it happening quite often. One of my friends just recently married the high school sweetheart he reconnected with over Facebook after 20 years apart. They started spending time together two years ago and realized that they had new interests in common

I think if people are doing it for healthy reasons, like you have things in common NOW, then yes. If the people are stuck in the past and trying to relive the glory days, then I don't think it will work out.

Respected Contributor

I believe this is a line from a song but it is something I have found to be true in my life...there is nothing cold as ashes after the fire is gone. I tried a rerun once, regretted it for years. I can only speak from my experience.
Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

I have sent him birthday cards in the past and received no response.  Also photos of my girls and received no response.

I think this is the answer to your question @LilacTree. It doesn't appear that he is interested enough to go back to those "good years".  I'm sorry if this sounds cold, but he is not remebering those times the same way you are.  Perhaps he can't.  You are still mentally active, but maybe he isn't.  I would think that he would have reached out at some point and time if he were interested and that hasn't happened. 

@Preds

I agree with you and that is what has been in the back of my mind.  I hurt him, a lot, and at one point when he was at our firm doing some painting for the boss, I went up to him to talk and when I said something to him, he snapped "I DON'T REMEMBER!"  He didn't remember 12 years?  He had banished me from his brain.  That probably hasn't changed.

Thank you.  I am just being a silly old lady.  I will not do this.  End of story.

Formerly Ford1224
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's unkind

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Well  it's  wrap....lol    He isn't interested in you.  Keep your dignity and stop pursuing the man.