Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think it's possible . . .

@Zhills wrote:

@LilacTree  "Musing with you?"  I hope not!

"Life is short and happiness is scarce."  Grab all you can when you can!

There is also a popular Merle Haggard song called, "Today I Started Loving You Again!"

@Zhills

There is?  Are you joking?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

do think it is possible to reignite an old flame.  I also think it's sad to not try if the opportunity comes around.  

@LilacTree  If this man is available, meaning unattached, free-and clear, what would be wrong with just touching base to say, "hello, been thinking of you"?  Put the ball in his court and see if he runs with it.    After all, how do you know he isn't thinking and mooning about you, too?  What if both of you spend the rest of your lives wondering, "what if"?  See what I mean about it being sad?

@IamMrsG

I imagine he is still available.  He would never marry, that much I know.  The thing is, even though I still look nice, what would he think of my disfigured hand?  And my physical limitations?  And the fact that I can't cook "gourmet" meals (he used to call them) anymore?

THANK YOU ALL FOR "MUSING" WITH ME!! 

I wouldn't worry about your physical limitations. Who is to say he doesn't have any of his own? Love can help ease your physical pain by flooding your system with endorphins. Why live in regret that you never took this moment to reach out. You don't have to make it a romantic overture just to say hello. Just take it from there by taking the first step. 

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Tutto è possibile!  (Anything is possible.)

Those of us -- of a certain age -- can appreciate those who have experienced what we've experienced.  There's a bond.

@just bee

Yes.  There is a bond, but he's a man and men can forget more than women can.

I won't do anything . . . too afraid of being rebuffed.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Be brave.

@just bee

It's amazing that one can still be a little girl inside and yet be so old.  I wonder if we ever really grow up!

This reminds me of a school assignment a few years ago.  My classmates and I were told to go to a local senior center and interview someone there.

I walked in and saw someone who reminded me of my mother.  She smiled at me and I felt there was a connection, so I sat down beside her and we started chatting.  I soon discovered that she might have not even really seen me when I'd walked in because she was going blind.  Her name was Trudie and she was well into her eighties.  And she was a newlywed.

@just bee

Wow, what an experience.  Good teacher!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Send him a "Thinking Of You" card through snail mail.  Just sign your name, no message.  See if you get a response.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@LilacTree  "Musing with you?"  I hope not!

"Life is short and happiness is scarce."  Grab all you can when you can!

There is also a popular Merle Haggard song called, "Today I Started Loving You Again!"

Hi @Zhills I had never heard that song, so I just googled it. I especially like the old country music. Thank you.  I could probably write some. Woman Wink

It's on youtube.

Esteemed Contributor

No, it's not a joke!

Today I Started Loving You Again   Merle Haggard

Today I started lovin' you again
I'm right back to where I've really always been
I got over you just long enough to let my heartache mend
Then today I started loving you again

What a fool I was to think I could get by
With only these few million tears I cried
I should have known the worst was yet to come
And the crying time for me had just begun
'Cause today I started loving you again

I'm right back to where I've really always been
I got over you just long enough to let my heartache mend
Then today I started loving you again

I would at least contact him and test his reaction!  What do you have to lose but lonliness.
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Tutto è possibile!  (Anything is possible.)

Those of us -- of a certain age -- can appreciate those who have experienced what we've experienced.  There's a bond.

@just bee

Yes.  There is a bond, but he's a man and men can forget more than women can.

I won't do anything . . . too afraid of being rebuffed.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Be brave.

@just bee

It's amazing that one can still be a little girl inside and yet be so old.  I wonder if we ever really grow up!

This reminds me of a school assignment a few years ago.  My classmates and I were told to go to a local senior center and interview someone there.

I walked in and saw someone who reminded me of my mother.  She smiled at me and I felt there was a connection, so I sat down beside her and we started chatting.  I soon discovered that she might have not even really seen me when I'd walked in because she was going blind.  Her name was Trudie and she was well into her eighties.  And she was a newlywed.

@just bee

Wow, what an experience.  Good teacher!

It's funny: My mother married my stepfather -- a confirmed bachelor -- when they were both in their 50s.  But when I met Trudie I was impressed that she and her new husband were so much in love.  What an interesting life.  She had always wanted to be a nurse and she graduated from college but never worked as a nurse.  Her one regret in life.

She and her first husband had traveled all over the world and her children were all successful: A nurse, a doctor and a judge.

One of those chance meetings that has stuck with me.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Yes....I like to believe anything is possible. I realize also that we change as we grow and mature (maybe one changes, other does not) so sometimes is not as easy as "picking up where we left off" for some maybe is just that easy though....for others is an unrealistic idealism. Loved 24 years ago may or may not equate into the reality of present. Just food for thought as no one hard fast rule of predictability applies to anyone.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree.

Pertaining to your ending question. I can only answer for myself. Two of my very good present friends are females and we were "couples" many years ago. Our "friendships" did not end when our relationships ended. As far as "men"? Probably testosterone levels.    =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I cannot speak to reconnecting with an old love, I can speak of finding love again - second chances - later in life.

I was 54 and widowed when I met my now husband who was 59 and divorced 16 years (and happily so).

When we met and the sparks flew, it was no different feelings than those that I felt as a teenager.  I learned, through him, that young love refers to the age of the love - not the lovers.

He asked me to marry him two weeks after we met (although we waited a year so the families could get to know each other, etc.)  I said, You don't even know me.  He said, I have known you forever, we just hadn't met.

Thirteen years later, the sparks are still flying.

LilacTree, if you feel that this is something you should do, follow your feelings. 

And Hi ! ,  hope you and your family are doing well.