Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember when it cost ZERO to go to Drivers Education?++

FREE drivers' education is like everything that's free -  there's a cost that someone is paying even if it that is someone else. 

I know that some time in the late 70's drivers' ed in my school district was removed from school-day instruction in order to move the teacher expense to an hourly wage instead of a full teacher's salary.  Big difference.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

There was no such thing as Drivers Ed at the high school I attended before dropping out of school. That was between 1953-1957 for me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

It was a free course at my high school at 16.  You pd for your permit at DMV and that was good for 6 months? and then you took the drivers test and held a jr license until you turned 18.  Our course covered more than driving.  Those not driving that day got classroom incl changing oil, changing tires and all things you can do to make sure your car was taken care of properly.  We were expected to practice with our parents.  The instructor could tell those you did not.  We had to parallel park and do K turns on the narrowest street in the city.  Young people today have no idea what those 2 procedures are.  Some just take up 2 spaces at the mall so you can't hurt there car.   My sons had to learn all we did including driving standard tranys.  The men in my family do all their own basic work when they have the time.  I am a widow  and can't do my own work.  I have to go to dealership tomorrow because the check engine light is on.  Two garages gave me the same info for it but it is a computer upgrade so a dealer has to do the work.   I have a number to call if they give me a story.  If not a warranty I will go elsewhere and they will look into for me.  My car has under 33,000 miles.  Wish me luck.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

16 year old just earned his permit. That was $100. To take drivers ed at his high school is $140 in fees to the school and $595 to the drivers ed company that teaches it- it includes 2 days a week driving with the instructor.

I remember when this was part of high school... you attended after school, took a test and had your permit. Then, they mailed you your licence after.. a year?

He has to have a permit for a year (must have it before taking drivers ed), then takes the drivers test in 13 months (more fees).  Oh, my insurance will jump by $1200 a year due to him.

GADS.

Edited title.

@SahmIam wrote:

16 year old just earned his permit. That was $100. To take drivers ed at his high school is $140 in fees to the school and $595 to the drivers ed company that teaches it- it includes 2 days a week driving with the instructor.

I remember when this was part of high school... you attended after school, took a test and had your permit. Then, they mailed you your licence after.. a year?

He has to have a permit for a year (must have it before taking drivers ed), then takes the drivers test in 13 months (more fees).  Oh, my insurance will jump by $1200 a year due to him.

GADS.

Edited title.

Yes I do.  I graduated high school in the 70"s and drivers ed and drivers training were free.  We took it in high school.  Drivers training was when you got to use the school car with an instructor.  Not sure why there is a fee for everything now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I graduated high school in 1971 and I had to pay for driver's ed.  I think you had to be 17 to get a learners permit, and 18 for a regular operator's license. This was in NYC.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember when it cost ZERO to get your drivers license?++

@Imadickens wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

When I grew up, minimum driving age in NYC was 18.  Schools didn't teach driver's ed. 

It's still 18 and according to google:  

Licensing laws in New York prohibit 16 and 17 year-olds from driving in New York City.

I think NYC has different laws from the state. I thought it was 21 in the city, not sure though. What year did you apply for your license? I turned 16 in November of 1971 and I got my license that December! I could drive alone before 9:00 p.m. or to and from work or school programs. If you had driver's  Ed you got your senior license at 17, but without it you got it when you turned 18! Plus, we could drink at 18 but not vote until 21, but the fellas could be drafted into war at 18 even though they could not vote!  Now, we vote at 18 and can't drink until 21! Thank God there's no draft, but people can enlist at 18 now, with high school diploma (It may be 17, not sure)!

I think she may the city itself - Manhattan - you can drive in the other boroughs at 17.

Honored Contributor

Drivers Ed was an easy A class in my day, and our instructor was totally worthless outside of the fact he was brave enough to get in the car with very inexperienced drivers.   I think I only got to drive 2 or 3x all semester, which was everyone's story that year.   When we did actually leave the school for drive time instruction, the person driving automatically knew where to go---we always drove the teacher to his house so he could check on his pregnant wife.   If she was okay, we were back on the road in time to make a quick trip to the county line, or a run thru town.   

Honored Contributor

We had a funny near accident one day in drivers ed. A friend of mine named Bob was driivng. Mr. Freed was the instructor. I was sitting in the middle of the back seat and a really big guy (300+ pounds) named Mark was sitting to my left and Kevin was to my right. Bob was driving down Hook Rd. and was turning left onto Churchtown Road. There was traffic coming so he had to stop and wait for the traffic to pass before turning.

While we waited a car that was stopped at the stop sign on Churchtown Road, somehow didn't see us there right in front of him and started out of the road right at the side of the car. Mr. Freed went into panic mode and started shouting commands to Bob.

"Hit the brakes! Blow the horn! Flash the lights! Pull forward! No stop!" Bob was moving his arms so fast he was a blur as he tried to keep up with the orders from Mr. Freed.

Meanwhile, the car kept getting closer and closer and big Mark's eyes were getting wider and wider as the car bore down on him. He pretty much stopped breathing while Bob was doing everything Mr. Freed suggested. "Change the radio station! Turn on the wipers! Blow the horn again! Do something!"

Then, just before impact, literally an inch or two from the drivers ed car, the driver of the other car looked up, saw us and hit the brakes, missing us by a hair. Bob completed the turn and Mr. Freed then had him pull over to the shoulder as everyone recovered. 

It was a good lesson. There are times as a driver when there's absolutely nothing you can do and someone just drives into you. We narrowly missed getting hit that day, but it aged the teacher a few years. I felt pretty safe with big Mark as a large living airbag between me and the other car, but Mark, Bob and Mr. Freed were all the worse for wear.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Only private Driving Schools offer behind the wheel near us.  I do not remember what we paid for our son and daughter.  It was well worth it insurance wise as it was expensive to add a teenage boy to our policy. With a successful completion of behind the wheel, a discount was given, but only for boys.

Honored Contributor

Driver's Education was free at the school or you could have someone teach you to drive, that was back in 1966. I think it cost under 10 dollars for a permit and in 6 months you could take your driver's test . Insurance was always expensive for kids, even back in the day.