Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember when it cost ZERO to go to Drivers Education?++

In CA we alway had a driver's ed class in high school.   I started high school at age 13, but I was able to take the class (not a fee-based class) when I hit 15.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember when it cost ZERO to get your drivers license?++

@SahmIam wrote:

@deepwaterdotter  I should have said to TAKE drivers ed. Yes, there's always a fee to get the permit/licence.

Oh, the driver's education class was considered just another class back in the 70's at my high school.  No extra fee involved.

Honored Contributor

Wow. It was free in school where I went.

Respected Contributor

I remember, but it was first come...and my school had few slots! You also could get your senior license at 17 instead of 18! FYI, my dh teaches a course that you take every three years (I think) and you get a reduction on your insurance premium! It's an eight hour course, but everyone who takes it from him, loves it! His course is sponsored by our local college . There are several places that sponsor these courses, all at different costs. His runs about $85 I think. It's worth looking into!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Oh wow, I didn't realize how different license-qualificatin is in different states.

In CA you took the class at 15.  Then you could get your driver's 'permit' at fifteen and a half (meaning you could only be driving with a licensed driver in the car with you and I think that person had to be of legal adult age). 

Then, you could get your regular driver's license when you turned 16.

I just thought it was the same everywhere.  How ignorant was I?  hehe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Drivers ed was free back in 77. We had simulators and two driver ed cars. I think it was a required course if I remember correctly. You had to pay for a permit that was good for a few months, then either renew the permit or take the driving test. Once you passed the test there were no restrictions. You would get an insurance discount for passing drivers ed.

This is what I did. My parents were out $10. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

When I grew up, minimum driving age in NYC was 18.  Schools didn't teach driver's ed. 

It's still 18 and according to google:  

Licensing laws in New York prohibit 16 and 17 year-olds from driving in New York City.

I think NYC has different laws from the state. I thought it was 21 in the city, not sure though. What year did you apply for your license? I turned 16 in November of 1971 and I got my license that December! I could drive alone before 9:00 p.m. or to and from work or school programs. If you had driver's  Ed you got your senior license at 17, but without it you got it when you turned 18! Plus, we could drink at 18 but not vote until 21, but the fellas could be drafted into war at 18 even though they could not vote!  Now, we vote at 18 and can't drink until 21! Thank God there's no draft, but people can enlist at 18 now, with high school diploma (It may be 17, not sure)!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took it as a summer high school session in the late 60's.  As I recall, even though it was being taught by one of the high school football coaches, my parents had to pay extra for me to take it - around $50 as I recall. Even though it was coordinated through the high school, I think the full fee was paid to the coach for his efforts.

Respected Contributor

Had to get the permit at the BMV when I was a teenager in NY.  Drivers Ed after school, plus my Dad teaching me.  Had to then schedule a road test through the BMV.

2 of my kids took drivers ed through their HS, but it wasn't free.  It's a long time ago, but I think it was $50 or something like that.  They dropped Drivers Ed through the school just before my youngest was old enough.  I think it cost $150 for the course 15 years ago.  I wasn't happy about the training they got, so I taught them all how to drive as well as their friends!

My granddaughter paid $550 2 years ago.

Of course, I remember when going to public school didn't cost anything either.  Now the fees are unbelievable.  School fees per child range from $50 - $125 for classroom PLUS the parents have a list of classroom supplies to send like kleenex, sanitizer wipes, dry erase markers, papers towels.  Sports and music are additional fees.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Drivers ed was free back in 77. We had simulators and two driver ed cars. I think it was a required course if I remember correctly. You had to pay for a permit that was good for a few months, then either renew the permit or take the driving test. Once you passed the test there were no restrictions. You would get an insurance discount for passing drivers ed.

This is what I did. My parents were out $10. 

Simulators are great things! When my dh was the police liason to the school system he wanted to bring the simulators that showed driving under the influence at different levels to the high school around prom time. The superintendent who was here at the time refused it, but once my dh did get the ok to bring cars that had been in drunk driver crash!