Honored Contributor

Do you remember when it cost ZERO to go to Drivers Education?++

[ Edited ]

16 year old just earned his permit. That was $100. To take drivers ed at his high school is $140 in fees to the school and $595 to the drivers ed company that teaches it- it includes 2 days a week driving with the instructor.

I remember when this was part of high school... you attended after school, took a test and had your permit. Then, they mailed you your licence after.. a year?

He has to have a permit for a year (must have it before taking drivers ed), then takes the drivers test in 13 months (more fees).  Oh, my insurance will jump by $1200 a year due to him.

GADS.

Edited title.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember when it cost ZERO to get your drivers license?++

No, I paid a small fee at the DMV when taking my written and driver's exam.  It's been so long that I don't remember the amount.

Honored Contributor

When I grew up, minimum driving age in NYC was 18.  Schools didn't teach driver's ed. 

It's still 18 and according to google:  

Licensing laws in New York prohibit 16 and 17 year-olds from driving in New York City.

Honored Contributor

17 in Jersey when I was there.  

And the only driver's ed we got at school were those horrific movies I could never watch.  

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  I should have said to TAKE drivers ed. Yes, there's always a fee to get the permit/licence.

Honored Contributor

Amazing the age difference. 16.5 years to get a LICENCE but can get a permit at 15.9; sooner with proof from school and parents that you need one in my state.

Respected Contributor

We paid around $450 for driver's Ed.   You have to apply for your permit - the fee is $30.  You have to hold your permit for 9 months and then get your license at 16.  No fee for license. 

Our insurance didn't go up.  If they get a ticket or some kind of violation the first year they hold a license, it will though.  We have State Farm. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember when it cost ZERO to go to Drivers Education?++

Well, Driver's Ed was free in HS, but you kinda get what you pay for. I sure didn't learn to drive during the class. I think I got about 10 min. driving time twice a week and would no way in heck have known what to do with a learner's permit at that point.

Too bad there isn't a happy *professional* medium - you'd pay for professional lessons but they would be about $300-$400. That is earnable by the kid, or half of it.

Like many/most my age, my stepdad taught me. After the first lesson, mom was not allowed to come with ;-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Drivers ed was free back in 77. We had simulators and two driver ed cars. I think it was a required course if I remember correctly. You had to pay for a permit that was good for a few months, then either renew the permit or take the driving test. Once you passed the test there were no restrictions. You would get an insurance discount for passing drivers ed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember when it cost ZERO to go to Drivers Education?++

My kids and my dh and me all took drivers ed through the high school we attended for free. My kids are in their 30's so relatively speaking it wasn't that long ago that kids didn't have to pay.

"Pure Michigan"