Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have a home remedy to share?

Airborne  I only use as needed like when I have to go to the office for work.  I used to use Zicam but they changed the formula.

Respected Contributor

When I have a sore throat and think I'm coming down with a cold,  I warm some honey with whiskey or bourbon and drink it.  I always feel better the next day. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Annabelle...maybe you meant Vicks Vapor Rub?

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Take Neosporin ointment and put some on the tip of your little finger.  Put it in your nose and breathe it in deeply.  It will get rid of a sore throat and any colds, etc you might be getting.  Works every time.

@phoenixbrd  She may have but Vicks, Vaseline, and Neosporin were all trendy to "prevent colds".  None of these belong in the nose.

Even if they did work, you still have to breath and those little germs will find a way in.

Just because somebody put something in her nose and didn't get a cold doesn't mean the "trick" worked.   Antibiotics don't do anything for viruses anyway.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Metholatum used under nose, rub on chest and apply generous amount to the bottom of your feet. Cover feet with socks. Sleep well and feel better the next morning. 

Honored Contributor

Take Lysine if you feel a shingles outbreak coming on

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

Must be a fellow Michigander on this thread.  Good old Vernors in our house...aka Michigan Swampwater😀

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just asking:  Can't we catch bacterial infections through the air and nose?  If so, instead of using neosporin or an antibiotic cream/salve to 'kill' bacteria, why not use a dab of coconut oil, which is anti-microbial, anti-biotic, anti-fungal, anti-'this and that'.  My thinking is that: as soon as the bacteria flying through the air enters our nose, it's captured in a dab of coconut oil OR  Neosporin types of antibiotics, and it's attacked on the spot, preventing any sort of bacteria to enter our system.  A sort of 'trap', so to speak.  Right?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I just Web searched:  'Can we catch bacterial infections through the nose?'   ........... Lots of sites, including Wikipedia: "Airborne disease",  do state that, yes, bacteria can travel through the air from airborne coughs and sneezes.  Or on flying dust with bacteria on it.  MRSA can move through the air.  Pathogens carrying bacteria, fungi, and viruses can be airborne.  Anyway, I had a feeling that various bacteria can hop a ride via pathogens flying through the air, but didn't have any real 'backup' (facts) until now. JFYI  ............. Gee, I learn something every single day.   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Cold and flu season are upon us. Do you have a home remedy that makes you feel better ,if you fall prey to illness?

I swear by ginger ale ,for an upset stomach. The only kind I will touch is Vernors

I like to drink Ginger Ale too, or a lemon-lime soda. It can be pretty much any brand, including a store brand, but my actual favorite is 7-UP. It just has that really crisp taste to me, and is nice and carbonated, although when you're not feeling well, it's better a bit flat. Smiley Happy

Also, plain saltines taste good to me too when I'm not feeling well, and you just need to eat something. 

@Toppers3,Your ginger trick is a proven remedy!

Anyone who has ever soothed an upset stomach with a glass of ginger ale knows that ginger is also a helpful digestive. Sipping ginger tea or chewing on fresh ginger helps digest heavy foods or hearty meals, and children may chew on ginger to ease a stomachache or to relieve motion sickness.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @ECBG,

Yes, some of these old remedies still work the best and are tried and true. Smiley Happy

I like to try and have some of these sodas on hand, for just these reasons. 

Chicken noodle soup too, and just plain chicken boullion too-I'll make that when I'm not feeling well. 

Sometimes I'll make some of the boullion and then just throw some plain pasta like elbow mac. into it, or egg noodles into it, or some plain rice into it-whatever I might have on hand at home, just to get a little something simple and gentle going down.