Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a financial advisor?

@chickenbutt wrote:

Yes, two.  It works for us.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt  Can I ask why you have two? Just curious.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Yes and no.  I have one for my retirement package.  But that's basically in a low risk situation and it's small.  

The rest of our investments are handled by DH.  

Same circumstances here.  Annuity funds saved up for retirement.  I try to live on my little pension.  This thread reminds me that she called last week while I was out.  I had forgotten about it.  I hesitate to speak with her because last year when she met it's me she wanted me to change to something that I couldn't touch for several years unless I paid a penalty.  I'm almost seventy years old.  Hey would I do that.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

I use robo advisor Betterment. No complaints. 

Honored Contributor

SeaMaiden wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Yes, two.  It works for us.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt  Can I ask why you have two? Just curious.

They are both experts in very different, specific areas.  We've used both of them for quite a few years.  This is what works for us.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I have to laugh.  One day my husband was at the bank and the teller asked him if he had a financial advisor and he said "Yes, my wife".

Esteemed Contributor

My parents have Howard Bailey. It is fee based. Their advisor is a CFP and certified for doing retirement planning.  He has been wonderful. 

Honored Contributor

LOL!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I have had two advisers/planners in my life.  I am almost 70.  The first adviser was nice, but she did not understand my retirement plan, always assuming I had a state pension rather than a 403b.  In many ways, she actually forced me to understand my own plan on my own.  Eventually, she had other clients on my plan, but I just never felt secure with her. She was not fee-based. 

Eventually, I asked colleagues for recommendations.  I have my current fee-based planner for about nine years. I use her to confirm decisions I have made and occasionally to make recommendations.  I have a good relationship with her and because, due to health, I had to retire early, we quickly were able to draw on previous interactions and decide what I should do in retirement. 

I also have a lawyer--will, financial and medical POA, care of elderly parents, etc.  And I have an insurance person who helped me decipher that earlier than expected retirement in terms of Medicare, Supplemental Insurance, and Plan D. 

When I was younger, I did everything myself. However, when health issues forced retirement changes, I was happy I had several support folks in place--even though I do not have much money--so that I felt secure in my decisions.