Honored Contributor

Re: Do you/did you call your inlaws Mom and Dad?

I only had one mother and I was not comfortable calling my mil Mom.  It didn't feel right even when we were extremely close.  I always called my inlaws by their first names.  My two sons in law call me by a nickname that only my godchildren and the kids of close personal  friends use.  I came up with it years and years ago because I didn't like the idea of the kids calling me by my first name and Mrs Soandso was much too formal.  So, I had them call me Dee.  I don't know where it came from, it has nothing to do with my real name or anything.  So, that's what they all call me....Dee. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did. We both call DH stepfather by his name. 

DH called my parents Mom & Dad from the first time he met them.  His parents divorced when he was young his family life wasn't great. He loved my family from the start.

DS fiancée calls me by my name. DS likes it when we sign her cards Mom & Dad. I don't know what he calls her parents.

btw-  My parents called their in-laws Mom & Dad. 

Esteemed Contributor

No...i never called my inlaws Mom or Dad and my childrens spouses call us by our first names....it is something i would not feel comfortable about.... i already had a Mom & Dad..........I called my inlaws by their first names......and still can love and care about them but not giving them that title....

Honored Contributor

Both are deceased, as are both my parents, but I called them by their first names and my DH called my parents by their first name.  Actually, my father passed before we even got married.

I'm surprised to see so many who felt like I did, that I had a mom and dad and it didn't feel right calling someone else the same.  When we got married, so many people were shocked that I called them by their first name and not mom and dad.  I see I wasn't alone.  LOL 

Respected Contributor

We both call(ed) each other's parents Mom and Dad out of love and respect for my spouse. 

My folks are both deceased now, but I still call his Mom and Dad as I would not have called them by their first names nor certainly not Mr or Mrs

When we married, I felt it was right

I have no kids, but all of my siblings spouses called my folks Mom and Dad.  My neice is now married and her husband calls my Sister and Brother in law Mom and Dad as she calls his parents the same

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Nope.  When my husband and I got engaged, his mother said to me, "You can call me Mom now."  I was thinking, oh - absolutely not.

Valued Contributor

Never.  Out of respect I always called them Mr. ___ and Mrs.  ____.

Trusted Contributor

We are not close I call them by first name, my husbands mother was never mother of the year. He calls his mom by her first name. 

Valued Contributor

Mine were well loved, and I called them by their first names, as my husband did my parents.  Our son and DIL are doing same!

Esteemed Contributor

@Day1128 wrote:

Called them by their first names.

Me too.