Honored Contributor

Re: Do you believe this to be true?

YES

Respected Contributor

Amen! 

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

Absolutely true!  Actually a good way to put it as we go thru life getting over ourselves.   LOL

Super Contributor

No, I don't believe it to be true.  When I was 20 I didn't spend much time worrying about what others thought of me. 

Honored Contributor

If you care about yourself then you will care what others think about you.

My Mother and Father taught me to be honest and sincere.

Yes, I want a person to respect the woman that I was at 20 and the woman I still am at 64.

Super Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

If you care about yourself then you will care what others think about you.

My Mother and Father taught me to be honest and sincere.

Yes, I want a person to respect the woman that I was at 20 and the woman I still am at 64.

To me, there is a difference between caring what others think and worrying about what others think. 

I can care about what someone thinks of me but it doesn't mean I worry about it.

Honored Contributor

Well, most of it!  I think I have always worried, or been concerned about what others have thought of me.  I don't live my life to get approval from others, but I think everyone pretty much wants to be cared about and liked.  

However, now that I am 64, I realize that people for the most part are self-involved and a lot of people in my life who I thought I meant a lot to ---- I really don't.  It stings but now that I've accept this fact, I feel a lot more free and I am letting it go --- not that I don't care --- but I am putting it more into proper perspective and not giving it as much importance and power over me that it once had.  I don't know if I am describing this right, but to get a grip on the real situation is a revelation and it is does set you free to focus on things which are more important.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

I can't see the OP picture.