Honored Contributor

Re: Do you believe in psychics/mediums/clairvoyants?

@LilacTree wrote:

@brownponytail80 wrote:

What do you think?  Are there people who truly can speak to the dead and see the future?

It seems this topic comes up at least once a month.  No disrespect intended, but no, I do not believe any living human being can interact with the dead, nor can they see the future.

I do believe that some folks have a sixth sense about certain issues that the rest of us don't.  And I also believe some are very adept at asking the right questions in order to make good guesses.

However, if you sit with a "psychic," maintain a calm posture and do not answer any of their probing questions (which I have done), they are usually unable to "work with you" and will tell you so.

I didn't know this was you, Ford.  Duh!  Actually, when I first saw the picture I thought it looked like someone I knew.  I know you have that pretty long gray hair and I thought "the woman" in this picture had short hair!!!!  I knew the eyes were getting worse.  Ha!  Been wondering all this time where you were.

Respected Contributor

As the old saying goes...

Don't cast your pearls before the swine.

Why is it those that have no knowledge of something need to get others to join in with their views, and say something is not so, or something is not right ...etc.   They need to validate their self I guess.  

While those with the knowledge just remain silent.  And get on with life as they know it.  

Super Contributor

I never did, until....

A bunch of us girls went to a psychic for a few months back for kicks.  She looked at one of my friends and said she lost a son, a tragic death.  She went on to say the son says that he is okay and he is able to walk where he is (he hung himself and broke his neck) and she knew that my friend buried him with his guitar.  The psychic also asked my friend if she flew recently, friend said no and psychic said...i see you up in the sky.  Friend forgot she went up in a hot air baloon a couple of weeks before for her 60th bday.

She looked at another friend and said she sees a man in her life missing a finger (husband lost a finger) and other assorted things.

She looked at me and said that I was here to just to observe (which I was).

Amazing, so yes, i believe.

Esteemed Contributor

Scientific study reveals that humans only use a small part of what their brains are capable of. There is also evidence that some people are more highly sensitive to perceptions and para normal circumstances. While I do not live my life by what some other person predicts or senses about me,  I do not rule out something that may or may not be provable.  Life itself is a miracle and existence is a mystery in many ways. Therefore, I am open to that which I may or may not totally understand with some moderation.

Esteemed Contributor

Nope!

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

As the old saying goes...

Don't cast your pearls before the swine.

Why is it those that have no knowledge of something need to get others to join in with their views, and say something is not so, or something is not right ...etc.   They need to validate their self I guess.  

While those with the knowledge just remain silent.  And get on with life as they know it.  

If it is so to them, Sparrow, it is so.  Some of us may have more knowledge on this subject than you might realize... different strokes for different folks.  We are not cookie cutter people.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree. 

Careful Sparrow seems since the board changed the ones that left before are back.  Im referring to the self righteous you know who's . 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Not really but I believe someone close to you that is passed can let you know that they are around and with you.     I don't believe people can see the future but they may be able to take a good guess at it.

Super Contributor

Yes, I believe in them, that they are capable of contacting demonic beings.    The Good Book strictly forbids the practice of mediums and fortune-tellers.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Scientific study reveals that humans only use a small part of what their brains are capable of. There is also evidence that some people are more highly sensitive to perceptions and para normal circumstances. While I do not live my life by what some other person predicts or senses about me,  I do not rule out something that may or may not be provable.  Life itself is a miracle and existence is a mystery in many ways. Therefore, I am open to that which I may or may not totally understand with some moderation.

The theory that human beings use only 10% of their brains has been debunked.

Here are some sources for the facts:

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-we-really-use-only-10/

Partial quote from the snopes article:

Evidence Against the Ten-Percent Myth

The argument that psychic powers come from the unused majority of the brain is based on the logical fallacy of the argument from ignorance. In this fallacy, lack of proof for a position (or simply lack of information) is used to try to support a particular claim. Even if it were true that the vast majority of the human mind is unused (which it clearly is not), that fact in no way implies that any extra capacity could somehow give people paranormal powers. This fallacy pops up all the time in paranormal claims, and is especially prevalent among UFO proponents. For example: Two people see a strange light in the sky. The first, a UFO believer, says, "See there! Can you explain that?" The skeptic replies that no, he can't. The UFO believer is gleeful. "Ha! You don't know what it is, so it must be aliens!" he says, arguing from ignorance.

What follows are two of the reasons that the Ten-Percent story is suspect.

1) Brain imaging research techniques such as PET scans (positron emission tomography) and fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) clearly show that the vast majority of the brain does not lie fallow. Indeed, although certain minor functions may use only a small part of the brain at one time, any sufficiently complex set of activities or thought patterns will indeed use many parts of the brain. Just as people don't use all of their muscle groups at one time, they also don't use all of their brain at once. For any given activity, such as eating, watching television, making love, or reading, you may use a few specific parts of your brain. Over the course of a whole day, however, just about all of the brain is used at one time or another.

2) The myth presupposes an extreme localization of functions in the brain. If the "used" or "necessary" parts of the brain were scattered all around the organ, that would imply that much of the brain is in fact necessary. But the myth implies that the "used" part of the brain is a discrete area, and the "unused" part is like an appendix or tonsil, taking up space but essentially unnecessary. But if all those parts of the brain are unused, removal or damage to the "unused" part of the brain should be minor or unnoticed. Yet people who have suffered head trauma, a stroke, or other brain injury are frequently severely impaired. Have you ever heard a doctor say, ". . . But luckily when that bullet entered his skull, it only damaged the 90 percent of his brain he didn't use"? Of course not.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde