Honored Contributor

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Yes, I've always believed in Karma, that the energy you send out will return to you in fold.  But I also believe that Karma may not necessarily "pay back" in this life.  That the afterlife or future lives may reap the brunt of it..... not something I'm willing to mess with!   

For instance, I had a horrible boss who enjoyed hurting others.  My co-worker always wished him dead; whereas, I hoped he would find a better job and leave.  In both cases he would have been gone but the intentions were much different. 

I have honestly never wished harm to anyone or anything and meant it!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I have honestly never wished harm to anyone or anything and meant it!

This should have read that I have honestly never wished harm to anyone or anything and mean what I say here.... not that I've wished this and never meant it.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Assuming that "Karma" means what goes around comes around; no I do not believe in that.  There are indeed people who spread misery and pain and cause trouble to everyone they associate with.  It's nice to think that eventually they will "get what's coming to them" as my Mom would have said.  However, at 55, I'm old enough to know that all too often, that just doesn't happen.   

Honored Contributor

I do not believe in karma but do believe in you reap what you sow.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

But Karma never happened in Crimes and Misdemeanors...

Exactly.  But that's not why I think it's a brilliant film.  In only a way that Allen can, I love the exploration of life's gray areas (ranging from the mundane to the outlandish).  Nothing is black and white in that film... not the characters, their choices, or the results/consequences thereof.  The scene where Judah visits his childhood home and actually interacts with his family in a memory of one particular Seder long ago, to me, speaks volumes of the film, and life itself.  I wanted to jump right into the discussion!  lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack wrote:

From deep within, I hear a voice that declares karma is indeed a fact of this life on earth. I have seen it in action. More often than not, the karmic wheel moves very slowly, maybe to give us a chance to rectify our wrongs before the full weight of the karmic debt falls upon us. What we send out returns. Both "good" and "bad."

@MaggieMack,

Absolutely!  I believe this ten fold!

Although, in my heart I do not think it holds true for animals.  They have no voice, they have no choice is so true for them.  Perhaps their lives are so tragically brief, or perhaps our own noise drowns out their efforts and their trials.  It makes me very sad.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Karma, as defined, is not only what YOU do to affect YOUR life now.  Karma comes from what your past "self" did to affect your lifetime now.

"We pay our karmic debts," is one expression.

And then there is "law of attraction" which tells us that what we give out we get back.  So, as has been said here, if you are thinking or acting negatively, you get back negativity.  This can be changed more immediately than karma.  Again, according to the definitions.

Karma is said to be based on actions, not thoughts.  Law of attraction is based on feeling as expressed through thought and action.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Yes, but  I  think most ppeople don't have a true understanding of what karma  means.  It's become a sort of "en vogue" concept, so to speak.  Karma teaches us not to enjoy or anticipate the misfortunes of others who we believe are deserving.   Focus on yourself and your own life.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To answer your initial question:  yes. 

I'm a spiritual energy / vibes  -type person.

But I do have trouble with animals and children (& authentically- decent adults) receiving bad karma of any kind.

Respected Contributor

This young woman tweeted something and in less than a day this happened.....

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/09/02/college-student-tweeted-maybe-slain-texas-deputy-deserved...